Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Lordy, Lordy! Look Who's 40!

Hello my lovely friends!! Today is my BIRTHDAY!!

I love my birthday. I have the best birthstone and seven is a lucky number and it's that perfect time between summer and fall. (Even though it is still a hundred thousand degrees here in the good ol' AZ.)(Totally NOT exaggerating. At all.) But I have the best birthday ever!

And not to brag about my awesomeness or anything (HA! Who are we kidding??), but I have already had birthday wishes today from all over the world. LITERALLY. Starting with my favorite New Zealand twins, Hayley and Marie!! Then my friend Todd in Africa. And the Gotham Girl wished me a happy day from India! Dudes, I've gone global.

I came in to work this morning with my desk decorated in glittery shoe shaped confetti. It is straight up bad ass. My team made me a big sign with lots of sweet messages. My friend Danielle brought me a delicious coffee cake and some candy. I told everyone the coffee cake was gross so I didn't have to share. But they were on to me and ate it anyway. It was so yummy! Tonight my MIL is making me dinner and my favorite pineapple cake. My parents took us to lunch on Sunday and I had my big birthday party last weekend. We've been celebrating forever!

So mother nature gave me a great big giant zit on the side of my nose for my birthday (it seriously looks like my nose is growing a nose of its very own). She was all "Hey April, you're feeling a little too good about turning 40. So here you go. Up yours."

She's such a bitch.

But I'm not going to let it get me down, no sirree. Because I am excited to be 40. I have worked hard for every year under my belt and 40 is going to be awesome. I couldn't give a frogs fat one about age. You can't stop a speeding train, my friends. You can just hang on and enjoy the scenery flying by.

And I have made some decisions. Big ones. Now that I am 40 I feel like a grown up. So here's the new 40 year old April:

I am going to learn to say no. If I don't want to do something, I'm not going to. And I may or may not give a reason why or why not.

If I don't feel the need to explain myself, I won't.

If you are in my life, it's because I value you as a person and I want you here. For the first time in my entire life, I feel like I have enough friends and I'm okay with it if you don't want to be one. I don't have to be liked by everyone. And even better? I don't have to like everyone! Ohmygod the freedom this realization gives you is the most amazing feeling ever!!!

I'm not playing junior high games anymore. No matter how many times you try to get me to. I am going to be real and honest in my relationships. If you piss me off, I'm telling you. If I don't agree with you, I'm telling you. If you ask my opinion, you are getting it. If I think my responses will hurt your feelings, I will warn you. I have no interest in hurting people. But I am not going to be fake. I despise that in people. I will respect you so much more if you are honest with me than if you are nice to my face and evil behind my back. We can be friendly, but we don't have to be friends.

I am not judging people anymore. If your life works for you, more power to you. Who the heck am I to say any different? And I won't stand for you judging other people around me. I don't want to be surrounded by negativity and bad vibes and stupid teenage girl stuff. Let's be grown ups. Let's support each other. Let's just be nice.

Life is too short for all that stuff. So that's my new motto. Just be nice. Do nice. Play nice. But not fake nice. Okay?

All right you crazy kids! Thank you for celebrating my special day with me! Now go give someone a hug and eat a piece of cake today!

And WOW! I just realized this was my 400th post!! Happy day indeed!

9 comments:

Lo said...

Oh, boy.....I am first in line to tell you what a fantastic blog you have written!

I love every word you uttered and I love you for having grown up enough to have figured out all that stuff.

Congratulations for being so wise....and, while I am at it....for being 40. A great age. Enjoy.

Lo said...

Oh, boy.....I am first in line to tell you what a fantastic blog you have written!

I love every word you uttered and I love you for having grown up enough to have figured out all that stuff.

Congratulations for being so wise....and, while I am at it....for being 40. A great age. Enjoy.

DevilsHeaven said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY APRIL!!
Your words ring so true. It makes me realize that by trying to avoid discourse by not saying anything, you are allowing discourse to continue.
Does that make sense? It did in my head.
Anyway, I'm not 40 yet, but I think if you don't mind I will follow your lead, and speak my mind in a nice way, but at least speak it!

Trisha said...

Happy birthday and welcome to the 40s. It only gets better! Enjoy!

WILLIAM said...

Happy to you and the 400th post.

Sue said...

Great words and a great attitude!

xoxo

Chris H said...

better late than never ! HAPPY BIRTHDAY Chick.

Stacia said...

whoops i'm a little behind on my google reader... anywhoozle HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!!!!

caroline said...

Happy Birthday April! Turning forty for me was the most freeing, awesome thing for me and sounds like it will be for you too.