Friday, May 21, 2010

Sixteen

Dear Uberman,

Today is our Anniversary. Sixteen years. I know, pretty awesome right? Every year we laugh and giggle about all those people who said we would never make it. Because we were too young. And too different. And too tempestuous. Actually I think they said that last part about me, but whatevs.

A lot of our friends tell us how lucky we are. That it's obvious we have an amazing marriage, good communication and a strong love based on trust and mutual respect. And they are right. We are very lucky.

What they don't know, is that we have worked hard for this happiness. It isn't something that came easily. And it certainly isn't something we take for granted. Any relationship that has been together as long as ours has obviously been tested in many ways. And when you throw jobs and kids and families and mortgages and finances into it, well that can be a recipe for disaster. We have definitely been through our fair share of ups and downs. There was a time when neither one of us were sure we would make it. But we never gave up. We stayed strong. We talked. We cried. We laughed. And we held on.

And now we can laugh at the small stuff. I can forgive you for eating Popsicles in bed and chomping ice while we are watching a movie. And you overlook my shoes all over the place and ignore the pile of laundry that I never seem to fold. We have successfully created the three loudest, smartest and most clever children ever born. We have a plan for our future and a strong grip on our present.

So thank you, Babe. For bringing me a diet coke with vanilla even though it's not in the budget. For not complaining when I pick Italian food for my birthday even though you are allergic to everything in it. For letting me steal your pillow in the middle of the night. For putting Clive Owen movies in the Netflix queue and not getting jealous when I get all swoony. For teaching me about baseball and beer. For understanding that even though you have tried for twenty years, I still refuse to learn anything about cars. For listening to me ramble on and on and on and on about nothing. For making the best chili and grilling the best steak in the world. For helping me put clean sheets on the bed no matter how tired you are. For never leaving the toilet seat up. For finishing my sentences. For always being the first to laugh when I say something inappropriate. For telling me I look pretty every day before I go to work, even when you are half asleep. For understanding when I need to be alone. And for being there when I don't want to be. For telling me I am being unreasonable. And for standing behind me when I need support. For encouraging me every day. For always thanking me for making you dinner. And most importantly, for always letting me have the remote.

You are my prince charming. I will always love you, to infinity and beyond.

9 comments:

Heather said...

That is so beautiful! Happy Anniversary! Here's to knowing what it takes and loving each other enough to put forth effort, EVERYDAY!

Trisha said...

Happy Anniversary. That was such a loving tribute to your marriage!

DevilsHeaven said...

Awww, AWESOME!!! Congrats on so many years!!
And please, do share, how did you manage to get the whole toilet seat being down thing?? SERIOUSLY?!!?!?!?!?!?
Help a new-ish wife out!

caroline said...

Ok, I'm definitely going to cry now. I was on the verge, but the always getting the remote got me! Do you talk about it first? Do you watch the same TV? Is he asleep? Tell me, how does this happen?

Happy Anniversary!

Catherine said...

This is a wonderful post! Happy Anniversary April! xxx

The Fat Chick said...

Happy Anniversary! You two are so perfect for each other xxx

Andrea said...

Oh April Dawn!!! Happy Anniversary!!! During our entire 45 minute conversation yesterday it did not even dawn on me what day it was! You are indeed a very lucky girl because you are married to a man who knows he is just as lucky!!!! You should probably let him pick dinner for your anniversary though...you know, just in case... :)

Elvi107sS_Scholten0 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Chris H said...

Better late than never... HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! Ours is in a few days too... 23 years..and just like your marriage... ours is damn wonderful too.

Google reader: yes I do have it! Yes I hate it too! But I still use it. *sigh*