Thursday, January 7, 2010

Druthers

I would rather be chubby and happy than deal with the mood swings that come with diet pills, skipping meals and being completely obsessed with the way I look.

I would rather spend time looking in the faces of others, getting to know people for who they really are, than to spend my time looking in a mirror.

I would rather be goofy and silly and laugh at myself than project some picture perfect image that is not real.

I would rather say I don't know than to pretend I do.

I would rather be that weird girl eating alone in her car than sit at a table with a bunch of vapid, gossiping, self absorbed women who have not realized they are no longer wearing their homecoming tiaras and chearleading uniforms.

I would rather go home to my family at night, to help my kids with their homework and listen to them talk about their day and get them ready for the next one than to sit in a bar with a bunch of people I have no desire to be friends with, listening to them talk about work even though the work day has ended.

I would rather spend my time with people who bring me joy. With people who lift me up. With people who go beyond the superficial. With people who don't ask me to play the game. Who aren't disappointed when I politely decline. With people who aren't jealous and insecure and petty and just plain mean.

I would rather have my life than theirs.

I would rather be me than any one of them.


 

12 comments:

Sue said...

I would rather we lived closer together than so far away so that we could sit in the car together, eat and watch the homecoming has-beens.

And we could diet together, although dieting sucks, it's easier with a buddy.

And we could play bunco, even though I've never played, and we could hang out, and go to movies, and talk about our beautiful children and awesome hubbies, and...and...and...

I'm so with you on this post.

kristen s said...

Can I get a whoop whoop for the weird girl who eats alone in her car? I'm that girl at least once a week these days! And shhhhh, don't tell anyone... but I kind of like it! I get to go wherever I want and, as long as I don't make eye contact with anyone, there's no guilt because everyone knows if no one sees you eat something, it has no calories. It's SCIENCE.

Caitlin said...

April, you nailed it as usual. Love you.

The Fat Chick said...

Here Here!

The Maid said...

I do some of my best eyebrow plucking alone in the car. (Of course I do it after I have eaten lunch...eeeeew...eyebrow hairs in my burger? Never.)

:) Good to see you at Bunco! You looked georgeous. Hope your booty starts to feel better soon!

WILLIAM said...

WHo are you trying to convince?
As we used to say in the bar business the vomit is always greener on the other side.

Trisha said...

Amen to that!

chandy said...

Love car lunches...
I also like going to the movies alone. I am rather socially handicapped ;)

DevilsHeaven said...

Amen sistah!!

DutchMac said...

Amen, amen, and AMEN again!

Andrea said...

Love it! Love you!

nancy said...

I used to gorge myself in the car and come home and go "I don't know why I'm not hungry for dinner" Letting them think I'm watching my weight. I love my change. And I sure didn't make myself out to be someone whom no one wanted to be around with. If someone is that miserable while trying to get healthy they are just not ready to make that commitment.