Sunday, November 15, 2009

Six Pounds

Twelve years ago tomorrow, I gave birth to a six pound baby boy who was not due until two days before Christmas. I had been on bedrest for two weeks due to premature labor, but against my doctor's orders, I went to my baby shower anyway. Oh no, he was not going to stop me from attending a big ole fancy party in my honor with presents and cake and everything. Oh haaay-ell no! And so I went. And when my mom dropped me off at home several hours later, I was standing in the doorway telling her good bye, and she started to cry.

"What is wrong?" I asked.

"I just know this is the last time I will see you pregnant," she said through her tears.

I laughed and hugged her. "You are crazy. We've got six weeks. It's gonna take forever for him to get here."

Early the next morning, around 4:00 am, I rolled over in my sleep and felt this tiny little pop. I felt a slow trickling wetness spreading beneath me. Oh. My. God. I thought. I am peeing my pants. I am seriously wetting the bed. Ubes is gonna be so grossed out. And suddenly I sat up. I was not peeing the bed. I jumped out of bed and ran to the bathroom. "Ubes!! Wake up!! My WATER JUST BROKE!!"

Fourteen hours later, he was born. There was a group of 18 people in the waiting room ready to meet this impatient little monkey. He was the smallest baby I had ever seen in person, still hadn't lost that layer of downy white hair on his body that babies usually lost a month before they are born. But he had dimples. And as far as I was concerned, a golden halo.

This teeny, tiny little boy became my entire world. My whole focus in life was just to keep him alive. He was the one who changed my life forever, the one who made me a mommy. The one who made my dreams come true.

He was my smallest baby, yet today he is almost as tall as I am. He wears a mens size 9 shoe. Twelve years ago I carried him in my arms, today he could carry me. His big blue eyes and huge dimples are small in comparison to his enormous heart. He opens doors for people, gives his seat up for women, offers help to people around him. He is patient with his siblings and kind to his peers. He loves cars, the Yankees, video games and reading books. If you ask him who his heroes are, he will tell you his dad and his Grandpas. He is a straight A student with a sharp mind and a quick wit. He is almost always in a good mood. He is thoughtful and funny, polite and outgoing. He is the most amazing kid and I wish you could all have the pleasure of knowing him.

Happy Birthday Junior. Thank you for making me a mom and a better person. I am the luckiest girl in the world. I love you!!  

4 comments:

Chris H said...

Awww that's so lovely!

Sue said...

What a wonderful post April! Please give Junior a big birthday hug from me!

By the way, I've been loving all of your posts so far this month!

DutchMac said...

Tell Junior a great big 'Happy Birthday' for me .... and that I know we would get along if we met, because we mid-November Scorpios are CLEARLY the coolest people on Earth.

Oh yeah, and you should also remind him how lucky he is to have a mom that will shout her love for him from the rooftops, yet in a very cool way. He should feel blessed.

Mom Taxi Julie said...

They sure get big quick don't they!