Sunday, November 29, 2009

Snow

I miss the snow.

When I moved to Arizona so many years ago I never thought in a million years I would ever say those words. But every year at Christmas time, I feel like something is missing.

I don't miss the cold. I don't miss the gray skies. I don't miss the scary driving conditions. I don't miss the patches of ice or shoveling the sidewalk or putting 900 pounds of clothes on to go outside.

I miss that first snowfall. How you wake up one morning and your entire world is covered in that soft white, sparkling blanket. I miss the quiet that comes with crystal snow flakes falling to the ground. I miss walking across that untouched whiteness and the crunching sound beneath my feat. I miss how it makes you anxious for Christmas.

I think it's sad that my kids don't know what they are missing. Even Uberman has never had a white Christmas. I mean, yes we can wear shorts and t-shirts while we are decorating our tree and stringing lights on our cactus. We don't have to put chains on our tires or sprinkle salt on the sidewalks. We don't have to sit in the driveway for 20 minutes while the car warms up or scrape ice off the windshield.

But still... This time of year is not the same.

I miss the snow.

5 comments:

Sue said...

I totally understand what you mean. I spent some of my early years in Montana and have great memories of white Christmas's...I wish my kids could experience that. We did have rain yesterday, which at least made if feel a little more like winter.

Speaking of winter, I just got out your rockin Pumpkin Gingerbread Trifle recipe. I can't wait to make it again this year!

Julie said...

This is why I LOVE living in Oklahoma, I actually have seasons here! It doesn't snow enough to be obnoxious, just the right amount!

DutchMac said...

Amen sister! The definition of Christmas here is four months of 44-degree temperatures and 24/7 rain. It's not the same unless you have the fresh white powdery stuff crunching under your boots.

Oh for a little of Jack Frost nipping at my nose ......

Marie said...

I just released its the first of december, no more daily posts :(

I have never seen/ been to the snow.

Chris H said...

I havn't had a white christmas ever! One day I am going to go somewhere where it snows at christmas!