Friday, November 6, 2009

Happiness isn't happiness without a violin-playing goat...

I had such a good time talking about movies with y'all yesterday. I still have not convinced The Boy to watch WHMS, but I am not giving up the fight.

But I'm punking out with today's post and giving you a list of a few more of my faves.

Notting Hill - I took this off the first list only because I thought I had too many of the same kind of movie. I mean obviously if it's set in London and stars Hugh Grant, I am so ready to party. I love the part where they are gathered around the table at the dinner party and Julia Roberts is trying to tell the saddest story so she can win the last brownie. "And one day, not long from now, my looks will go, they will discover I can't act, and I will become some sad middle aged woman who looks a bit like someone who was famous for a while." For a brief moment they all see that she is just as sad and lonely as the rest of them.

Gross Pointe Blank - Who doesn't love some John Cusack? Especially when he's playing a professional killer going back to his ten year reunion. Hilarity ensues. My favorite part is the relationship between Cusack and his assistant, played by his sister Joan Cusack. So flipping funny!

Steel Magnolias - I know, I know. The all time cliche of chick flicks. But I can't help it, I love this movie more than my luggage.

Sleepless in Seattle - Another chick flick cliche but I really don't give a hoot. I love the relationship between Tom Hanks' character Sam and his eight year old son Jonah. Especially the part where they get in an argument because Jonah wants Sam to fly to New York to meet Annie.

Sam: Didn't you see Fatal Attraction?
Jonah: No! You wouldn't let me!
Sam: Well I did and it scared the shit out of me. It scared the shit out of every man in America!

And being the sick twisted soul that I am, I absolutely love the soundtrack to that film. Its like . . . mmmmagic.

One Fine Day - This movie is really a great big advertisement for tourism in New York City. But with George Clooney and Michelle Pfeiffer bickering the whole time.

13 going on 30 - I think I love this movie because it is one of Boo's favorites. And it's adorable.

Father of the Bride - I think I watched this movie 300 times when I was planning my wedding. And if I am ever flipping channels and it's on, I have to stop and watch.

Christmas Vacation - The be all, end all of Christmas movies. It wouldn't be Christmas without "the silent majesty of a winter's morn... the clean, cool chill of the holiday air... an asshole in his bathrobe, emptying a chemical toilet into my sewer... " Come on, even Jesus is laughing at that.

And what list would be complete without Sixteen Candles, The Breakfast Club and Pretty in Pink? I don't think I could call myself a girl without having those in my DVD library.

I could sit here talking movies with you all day. But unfortunately I have to go to work. Tomorrow I'm taking a tip from Mr. Cusack in High Fidelity and I'm gonna talk about jobs.

Oh I bet you can't wait.

6 comments:

DevilsHeaven said...

You had me at Bridget Jones's Diary, did you know they are making another one??? YAY BABY!!!
You kept me at Knotting Hill.

WILLIAM said...

I too love Steel Magnolias even though it is a chick flick.


Weezer (Ouiser) and Clairee crack me up.

Mom Taxi Julie said...

Even my husband likes Steel Magnolias!

"Intentionally Katie" said...

Love the title...made me instantly LOL. I LOVE that movie! And now I'm feeling the need to rent Gross Pointe Blank. It's been years and I can barely remember the plot, let alone the funny parts.

Karen R said...

You make me laugh. I can't remember the name of the movie a week after I've seen it. And you sit there and quote lines.

The Maid said...

Okay, all is forgiven because this list had 3 John Hughes movies on it...at least! ;)

Woohoo!

And yes, even we Christians die laughing and often quote the line...
"Shitter was full!"

This is a must watch at Christmas. :)