Friday, August 28, 2009

Swiss

Unidentified Grown Woman I Know: I'm thinking about getting that book about Hitler.
Me: Which book about Hitler?
She: I don't know. I was watching a documentary about him and they kept talking about a book.
Me: Was it the one he wrote?
She: He wrote a book?
Me: Uh-huh. A pretty well known one.
She: Really? I didn't know he was an author. I just thought he was president of Germany.
Me: Ummmm, welllllll.... He was the supreme ruler of Germany. A dictator.
She: Whatever. I just know he was, like, the most famous German ever.
Me (staring): Uuuuummmm.... Wow. There are so many things wrong with that sentence but let's start with this: He wasn't German.
She: Of course he was.
Me: Nope. He was from Austria.
She: But in all those films he's speaking German.
Me (taking a deep breath): That's because German is also the language of . . . Austria.
She: It is? I thought they spoke Swiss.
Me: (blink, blink)
She: No?
Me: That's not even a language.
She: Then what do they speak in Switzerland?
Me (sighing): Mostly French.
She: Really?
Me: Yup.
She: Wow. I had no idea.
Me: Well, you learn something new every day.
She: Yes. You really do.

9 comments:

DevilsHeaven said...

I'm not even going to tell you how much I just learned from this post........... lalalalala

WILLIAM said...

Mein Kampf is a page turner....

"Intentionally Katie" said...

Amen to the first commenter...

I forgot how dumbfounding it is dealing with the general public every day. Oh, how I miss my days as a waitress...no one believed my stories like this!

Leigh7880 said...

Who is this Hitler you're all talking about?

;-)

chandy said...

Where do you meet these people? Do they drive on the same valley streets and freeways that I drive on with my children?

The Maid said...

I think I need to learn to speak Swiss.

In case I am ever in Austrailia.

Mwah hahahahahaha.
:)

Love your crazy stories! :)

The Maid

Jessie said...

These are the kind of encounters that allow me to feel quite superior in intellect. Don't you feel smart now?

I am surprised, though, that Swiss isn't a language. How bad is that? I feel kind of dumb now. You educated me, you know? :) You should feel really smart. I, on the other hand, will be looking up Swiss languages for the next 45 minutes on Wikipedia.

kristen s said...

This wouldn't happen to be the same grown woman who went to 'Jamaica, Mexico'.....would it? Oh, and speaking of - You're going on your cruise in 6 DAYS! I'm SO jealous! Just be careful... what I remember from the cruise I went on were LOTS of people chasing me around wanting to braid my hair like Bo Derek (and I SO would not have looked like Bo Derek) at every stop we made. They had their beads and combs in ziploc bags... combs they had used on COUNTLESS other heads, which just grossed me out beyond words. They got really offended when I turned them down too, so if you hear the words, "Pretty lady want a braid in your hair?"... RUN. Really fast. Everything else will be AWESOME! Have fun!!!

Karen R said...

That woman needs to be on Leno's new show.