Monday, August 3, 2009

Confessional Vol. I (Sort of)

The other day a friend excitedly showed me her new Ed Hardy sunglasses and I told her they were really cute. The truth is, I hated them. I don't get the Ed Hardy obsession. I think most of it looks pretty trashy.

It is very unlike me to tell you I like something when I actually don't. And you can usually tell by the look on my face anyway.

I am not good at hiding my emotions. But then again, I don't try that hard either.

I would rather be like me than be that person who tells you what you want to hear and can't be honest with you. This may sound hypocritical considering the Ed Hardy thing, but I justify this by saying - it was just a pair of sunglasses. If it had been a man she wanted to marry, I would have been honest. (And I have been honest in that situation, even though it was one of the most painful things I have ever had to say.)

I want to write a book. I have even started one and written several chapters. It's good. I am proud of what I have written. And the only thing that keeps me from finishing it is the fear of failure.

I recently reconnected with a former coworker (she was actually the boss of the boss of my boss, does that make sense?) who has decided to live in New York City for one year to fulfill a lifelong dream. I am both envious and inspired by her. I WILL live in London some day.

6 comments:

WILLIAM said...

I would like to read your book. Not if it is about living in London though.

DevilsHeaven said...

I feel ya on the living in NYC and London. I actually have a friend who lives in England, and her life seems so much more exotic than mine.
It's all about the accents.
And I'd love to read your book too. Is it funny?

kristen s said...

April! How COULD you?! I BELIEVED you when you said my sunglasses were cute! I feel so violated.

Stacey said...

Jon Gosselin looking totally douche-y in his Ed Hardy clothing is pretty much the only thing I see when I picture Ed Hardy ANYTHING. As if it wasn't obnoxious enough to begin with, but anyway.

Stacey said...

Oh, hello! And please finish your book. Think of Stephenie Meyer! She lives right by you (sort of), is around your age (sort of), and had the same thoughts. "What if it isn't good enough???" Well, look at where she is now!! My point being, don't fear failure. Failure will be NOT finishing the book. Finish it, for you if not for everyone else.

Jessie said...

I would read your book. You should go for it. Although I think there are way too many blogger-turned-authors out there, I'm sure you won't be one of those... :) It's like if you have a successful blog all of the sudden you're an expert at life. I'm sure that's not the kind of book you're talking about, right? As long as your book isn't about how to run my life more efficiently, or cook better, or sew better. Yours would probably be a novel which would be awesome. You should be a novelist. (Well, I'm glad I got that off my chest...)