Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Twisty

My little Mac and baby Boo are sick. Really sick. And it breaks my heart to see them like this.

Last night when Mac was going to bed he said his stomach felt "twisty." And I knew what was in store for me later. He woke me up around 1:00 AM with those 7 words that strike fear in the hearts of moms everywhere: "Mom, I threw up in my bed."

And I know he's sick. And I'm sad for him. And if I could take it from him and go through it myself, I totally would. But for the love of God kid, can't you make it to the toilet? Jeez Louise.

So I stumble out of bed to survey the damage and start stripping his bed. And as I walked down the hall to get him a clean set of sheets, I knew something wasn't right. The smell was too over powering. I walked into Boo's room and was horrified. She too had yacked all over her bed. But was still sleeping in it.

And being the amazing father he is, Ubes started helping me right away. Starting one shower for Mac and another for Boo, helping to calm them both down as they both continued to hurl all over the place. When Junior was little, Ubes and I had a deal. He would always take the puke and I would always take the poop. But last night he forgot that deal and got to be Super Dad rubbing backs and holding heads and saying soothing words of reassurance. While I rinsed out dirty sheets and underwear and started the washing machine and scrubbed walls and mattresses, gagging and dry heaving the whole time.

This mom thing is for the birds. Next time I want to be the dad.

Please note I am writing this post in an exhausted stupor, my own stomach feeling a little twisty, and I in no way meant that I didn't love being a mother or I didn't love my children or I didn't appreciate having such an amazing husband who willingly gets out of bed to help when babies are sick and ralphing. I'm lucky, I know. Don't judge me.

11 comments:

Chris H said...

I dont cope well with throwing up kids either... in fact I usually throw up with them! Stew is wonderful like your man... he tends to them more often than not. I hope your little ones are all better now. And all the washing is dry!

WILLIAM said...

Ihope everyone feels better.

I have slept in my own vomit before.

DevilsHeaven said...

Anyone who would judge for not wanting to clean up puke is mental. It is a nasty job and I hate doing it, and I'm not even a mom yet.
My mom put the fear in us at a young age, "If you can't make it to the toliet, make it to the trash can, or YOU'RE cleaning it up YOURSELF."
Needless to say, I ALWAYS to THIS DAY make it at least to the trash can.
Not that I'm saying she'd actually follow through on that threat, but it served it's purpose.

Leigh7880 said...

Oh no! I'm so so sorry! All of you get well soon!

Gladys said...

I hope you all are feeling better soon. Must be a "thing" going round. It seems like everyone I've talked to lately has had some type of stomach issue.

Oh and you have a great husband!

Mom Taxi Julie said...

Nothing worse than puking. We all did this not too long ago, it was horrible.

Stacey said...

OMG, Scott and I have the same deal. I can do poop any day of the week, in any state, in any fashion, in any smell. I can't even begin to deal with puke. Whether it's from a dog or a baby, if it's stomach contents, no way Jose Eber.

I hope the babies get better.

Intentionally Katie (3 Blondes and a Redhead) said...

Better on the bedsheets than on the carpet, I always say. More contained.

I often wonder why God invented vomit??? Because it's just wrong. I'll add that to my list of what to ask Him when I get to Heaven...

Karen R said...

Next time try giving the sick kid a pot to put by their bed. That way when they feel like they're going to get sick, they do it in the pot and not in the bed. My mom used to do give us one and I did it for my kids. It worked. I hope it will work for you too. Also hope the kids feel better soon.

Kristi said...

I'm so sorry April! Your poor kiddos and their poor mommy! My 2 had the same thing (including the bed barfing) a few weeks ago and it was REALLY REALLY unfun.

Hope it passes quickly and you don't get it too!

Bogart in P Towne said...

Why does something so nasty (Vommit) make you feel so much better after you do it?