Friday, April 3, 2009

The Big Oh-Nine

So yesterday was Mac's birthday. And the kid totally got ripped off this year.

First of all his birthday fell during a very busy time. We had to plan his party with his friends for later this month.

Then, this week happened to be the week of standardized testing at school. Remember those fill in the bubble tests? Yes, that is what I am talking about. It took up the whole week. And at first the school wasn't going to allow me to bring in cupcakes or whatever to his class. But after some begging, pleading, and possible threatening, they reluctantly agreed to allow me to bring something during lunch.

"Is it possible to bring something without sugar?" his teacher asked.

"No." I replied. I mean come on! Birthday crackers? Birthday pretzels? Birthday trail mix? I don't think so. Mac chose donuts. So I made sure they were covered in frosting and sprinkles, too. Because that's how awesome I am.

And then when I got to the school with three dozen donuts, the skinny little school secretary was not going to allow me to take them to the cafeteria. "We can't have you on campus during testing," she said shaking her head. "Wanna donut?" I asked. Two minutes later I was in the cafeteria and Mac was the coolest kid in the room. Oh yeah, baby. I'm not above bribing former anorexics with food. Not when it comes to the happiness of my babies. No siree.

The final bummer in Mac's big 9th birthday was his baseball game scheduled for that evening. Which meant no family celebration at his favorite Mexican food restaurant. Granny and Grandpa agreed to take him to his pre-game practice, since Ubes and I couldn't make it until the game started at 5:30. At 5:15 as I was leaving work, Grandpa called. "Meet us at the house," he said. "Your kid's on the DL."

Turns out, during the practice the coach was tossing him pop flies. Mac caught one in the eye. So one of his gifts was a shiner. And it's a good one. But if anyone can pull that look off, it's this kid.

And with the injury he was excused from the game, which meant dinner at Ajo Als after all. Last night as he got ready for bed I gave him a kiss and asked him if he had a good birthday.

"Yep," he said. "I think being 9 is going to be awesome."

I think so too.

5 comments:

The Fat Girl said...

Aww bummer about his day buy what a cute answer

Stacey said...

What a cute little guy! Tell him 9 IS going to be awesome and every other 9 year old will wish he was as awesome as him.

On a side note - your mention of Ajo Als seriously made me stroke out. Oh, pizza nortena - how I love thee. How I miss your cheesy, creamy, chicken-y goodness. Sorry - this "Tex-Mex" crap we have here is for the birds. If Ajo Als opened up a location here it'd be a gold mine.

Gladys said...

It's awesome only because he is AWESOME!

Mom Taxi Julie said...

Poor kid!

Melissa's bday is next Wed and her SISTER had a softball game that day. Kind of sucks. Still need to figure out which day we are going to have a friends party since Easter is on Sunday. My kid's school doesn't allow any sugar snacks, even for birthdays. Sucks.

Sue said...

I can put up with a lot, but no sugar snacks for a birthday celebration? What part of BIRTHDAY CELEBRATION did they miss? I'm glad you pushed a little, Mac deserves it.