Sunday, March 29, 2009

Reunions and Stuff

Yeah I know, I haven't been around much lately. I'm aware. And I'm sorry. I'd like to say I have been busy with all kinds of fabulous adventures, but I haven't. I have been busy, with work and the whole wife and mom thing I have to do, so all that stuff kind of cramps my style a bit. Interferes with my writing time, you know?

Plus let's be totally honest.... I don't have much to share. It hasn't been that exciting of a week. There's all kinds of stuff I could vent all over you, but really, who wants to hear that crap? Not me.

Oh wait! One kind of interesting thing happened. Are you ready?? I got an invitation for my twenty year reunion. It was like a slap in the face from the post office. Thanks guys! I graduated high school twenty years ago?? Seriously?? What the hell have I been doing with my life since? Besides wasting time taking Facebook quizzes and listing my top five favorite movies and books and crap. People. I need Facebook rehab. Stat.

And I don't think I'm gonna go. To the reunion, that is. I kind of want to. Out of some morbid curiosity. But Dee already said she WOULD NOT go with me. And if she doesn't go, her husband doesn't go. So my husband won't have anyone to play with. And I am not going all by myself. No way.

Sigh.

So I probably won't go. But I am going to lose weight anyway. Just in case. I have until September. Awesome.

7 comments:

for a different kind of girl said...

These days, Facebook is really just a high school reunion without the money or the stress of seeing people you don't really want to see involved. At least that's what I'm telling myself!

kristen s said...

Okay April, here's the deal-io: You should totally go. I know exactly how you feel because, as you know, I went through the exact same thing last year. I was 99% sure I wasn't going to go either, but then I was harassed at the last minute (mostly thanks to people on FB -- one of which was YOU) and gave in.

I was SURE no one would remember me. I thought everyone would be thinner, prettier, younger looking, more accomplished, etc. I had to take anti anxiety medicine just to leave my house, and immediately had to down a margarita the second I got there, but to my surprise, I actually had fun. LOTS of fun. Maybe it was the mix of the drugs and alcohol, but it left me wishing I had gone to the other activities they had the night or two before. Sure, plenty of people were younger looking, prettier, thinner, more accomplished, but unlike the 10 year reunion BS, it really didn't matter. It seemed that most people had moved past caring about that stuff, and were more interested in reminiscing about their youth...ya know... ancient history and stuff. I had people telling me stories they remembered about me that I had completely forgotten about (and some that I don't believe really happened, but were entertaining to hear about nonetheless)...

So, talk your friend Dee into going. Get yourself an awesome new outfit (something I didn't have time to do since I decided to go at the 11th hour and am still pissed about), wear your sky high hooker heels, and don't make your former classmates miss out on how awesome you STILL are. It's the only 20 year HS reunion you'll EVER have, and I'm telling you, you'll be sorry if you miss it!

DevilsHeaven said...

I think you should go too. You never know. My class didn't have a 10yr and my friends and I were kinda ticked about it. We are coming up on the 20yr and I really hope it all comes together because there are some people I'd really like to see.
If only for a few hours.

Karen R said...

From someone who attended her 40th reunion this year (yikes!) and hasn't missed one since the 10th, I agree with Kristen completely! By the time 20 years is up, nobody gives a rats ass what you look like or what you do for a living. It really is a ball to connect with old friends and laugh about the goofy stuff you did. The 20th year was so much fun that we all agreed not to wait 10 more years and we've had reunions every 5 years since then. I haven't missed one and always look forward to reconnecting with old friends. And we still laugh at the same stuff we did as teenagers. If there's a pre-party the night before, go to that, too.

Sue said...

You have to go April. You will kick yourself if you don't, trust me. You will have a great time, and think of all of blog fodder you'll have!

I went to my 10 year reunion (had a terrible time), helped plan my 20 year reunion, (it was a total blast) and planned our 25th reunion in 2007 all by myself (best one yet, if I do say so myself). The memories are priceless, and your classmates get a lot nicer with age. Promise.

WILLIAM said...

Just go.

Kristin said...

I'm on board for "O'SHAT". Let me know if you want me...

"No Fatty at Forty" is breathing down my neck!