Saturday, February 28, 2009

Sugar and Spice

So have you watched that show "Real Housewives of Orange County?"

It's a reality show about 5 snooty-tooty women who happen to live in a gated community in a suburb of L.A. It's disgusting. These women represent everything I hate about being a woman. They are vain, self-absorbed, catty, snobby and down right cruel to each other. It makes me sick.

And yet I never miss an episode.

In my defense, it was Uberman who got me hooked on it. Apparently this is what is on in the break room at work when he eats his lunch. And you know how men are, if there's no remote in sight they won't get up to change the channel. So a week later he is timing his lunch to coincide with the Housewives.

Anyhoo, end tangent.

There are so many great advantages to being a woman. We have better shoes. We can wear pink without being accused of being gay. Most of us don't have to shave our faces every day. We get that whole magical experience of carrying a baby for nine months and then squeezing it out of our nether regions. We feel. Do you know what I mean? Women are emotional, we don't need to apologize for that. We feel for people. We feel for each other in a way that men don't. Because they are too wrapped up in being manly.

And I know I have ranted about this before, but the women on this show, they represent everything bad about being a women. All the ugliness. The competition. The judgement. The backstabbing. All the reasons why men make fun of us. How can we even defend ourselves?

These women are so self absorbed and obsessed with how they look. I don't have a problem with women who want to look good. I want to look good. Don't we all? But when your whole focus is what you look like on the outside and you completely ignore the fact that you are a raving bitch on the inside, you have a problem with your priorities.

And I know!! I am watching it! I have no one to blame but myself.

I'm just tired of all this behavior in real life. And now here someone goes and puts it on TV and glorifies it. And then idiots like me watch the stupid show. And it breaks my heart that I am raising a little girl who will very soon run across girls like this. It starts on the playground, don't you remember?

I am so disgusted with myself.

7 comments:

Mom Taxi Julie said...

How funny! I JUST watched this show for the first time yesterday. It's like a train wreck. I think I like to watch shows like this because it's just SO FAR away from how my life really is.

Gladys said...

Yeah you know I'm a housewife and I don't know any of my friends that look like THAT. Oh wait they wouldn't be my friend if they acted like THAT!

Oh and just so you know my word verification for this post is
coooter. ;) For some reason the 12 year old little girl in me giggled.

Chris H said...

WE don't get that show here... probably a good thing then? lol

Karen R said...

These lovely "ladies" live about 20 minutes south of me. I would absolutely die if I saw one of them at a restaurant. Larry is totally hooked on the show (he'll watch anything with a clevage evidently) and so I have watched it a few times - including pieces of the last show. I agree - such hateful, ugly women. All I can think is that some day they're going to meet their Maker and he's going to say "what was up with that?" and then there's no lying or manipulating. They're taking the down elevator for sure! LOL

The Fat Girl said...

I have heard lots about it but we dont get it here. Every comes across those types of girls. They are just mimicing what they know and that is there mother. Your rasing your daughter right, she knows she is above acting like that beacuse that is what you are showing her. Love you Apri your super amazing xx

Bogart in P Towne said...

I think i will stick with Top Chef.

disa said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.