Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The Food Police

I just spent $179.33 at the grocery store. Let's let that soak in for a minute.

Yeah.

And I didn't even buy that much. I did get some beer (for Uberman). And a bottle of wine (for me). Some cookies for the kids. A big block of cheese. I love cheese.

I am pretty sure I have enough stuff to last us through the week. At least I hope so, gee whiz. I did some menu planning this week, so I know what I am making each night and Ubes and I don't have to play that annoying "What do you want for dinner?" game. That game sucks.

I hate planning meals. I love to cook, don't get me wrong. But my family has sucked the joy of cooking right out of me. Picky picky picky.

So I am tooling around the grocery store tonight, going up and down the aisles, checking things out. Yeah, I have some interesting things in my cart. Some beer. Some wine. Some chips. Maybe a bag of marshmallows. I'm not going to lie. And I got some crazy looks. Whatever, Judgy McJudgerson.

So what if I bought some cookies? And some frozen french fries. And maybe a box of fishsticks. Am I looking in your cart and whispering to the other shoppers about your bottled water and how you are contributing to the overflowing landfills and blah blah blah?? No, I'm minding my own business. You should try it.

And so what if my dinner tonight is a bottle of pinot grigio? What's it to you? I skipped lunch and I made bean burritos for the kids so get off my case, okay? I'm not telling you how to live your life, so stuff it. Okay? OKAY??

Gawd. Some people.

9 comments:

The Maid said...

If you need tips on how to get all those groceries for a buck fifty...talk to Katie. :)

The Maid

DevilsHeaven said...

This happened to me, but I was in line with a loaf of bread, a bottle of milk and a case of beer.

"Just the basics eh?" snickered the cashier.

"Don't need anything else." I replyed as the lady behind me snorted with disdain.
Beyotches.

Trisha said...

I agree that there are just too many judges out in the world. So what if I want to buy a frozen pizza with my veggies?

chandy said...

Mmmm...bean burritos and pinto grigio...I want to come to your house for dinner!

I hate to admit, but I am a grocery store judger. But I'm usually thinking something along the lines of "Why is this lady here with (presumably) her husband and three kids under 6 at 10:30 at night? Why is the two year old bare-footed in the winter and eating a quarter pounder for dinner at 10:30 at night? Why don't one of you stay home and put your kids to BED while the other one grocery shops." Phew. That felt good. I'm done now.

for a different kind of girl said...

I just came home from the grocery store, where I spent nearly $44 on nothing. Some milk, some bread, cookies for the kids, garlic bread, a frozen lasagna for dinner because omg, the "What's For Dinner?" game is killing me!

We are working on menu plans because I swear, one of us is at the grocery store every dang day, and we're spending way too much money that way. Until then, come tomrrow, I won't have a clue what to make for dinner!

for a different kind of girl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Karen R said...

I spent $128.01 on Feb. 2 and 68.92 on Feb. 4 - for 2 people - on DIETS! Sheesh. My favorite is when the kids are visiting and I'm buying baby food, diapers, beer, wine, Jim Beem and US Weekly. I'm sure some people want to get my license plate number and call CPS.

Chris H said...

IMAGNE having 6 kids living at home and every day without fail all of them ask "what's for dinner"?
I used to plan a fortnight's meals and write them up on the board.. I got to the point where I felt like killing the next person who asked what was for dinner!
The board worked, no one asked me what was for dinner.. I got instead "Oh Mum, I hate Macaroni Cheese/Spagetti Bologneise... " Friggin kids could starve as far as I was concerned! pfffft.
Nowdays when B or G ask what's for dinner I say "Stewed cat and onions, fried peas and beans" and leave it at that!

Bogart in P Towne said...

Did you buy extra toilet paper for the bean burrito morning?