Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Faking It

As of this week I am officially the last person at work with her original boobies. Well I guess The Boy still has his. Of course I am only assuming. But out of all the girls, mine are the last boobs standing. Or um, not standing?? Technically all of their's are now standing. Fully upright. Front and center. Mine are slouching. Leaning against the wall. Too tired to care anymore. But still, they are mine.

Now don't get me wrong. I don't have any issues with enhanced boobies. I breastfed three children. I think I deserve them. I think they should be covered under insurance. More like reconstructive surgery. And if I run out of things to spend my money on, like food, shelter and cute shoes, I will totally get some for myself.

But I know who I am. And I am totally ok with my droopy, exhausted working boobies. That's what push up bras are for. My boobs do not define me. And if I got new ones, it would only be to perk them up a little. Not to full on stripperfy them. I would get them as a restoration.

But that's me. Everyone gets them for different reasons and I totally respect that. This is the lovely land of America after all. Where if you have enough money you can get stuff lifted, stapled, lipo-sucked, tucked, plumped, de-wrinkled, etc.

But this does pose a question. So I ask your opinion, dear friends. At what point is it too much? Too much fakeness?

Acrylic fingernails (we've all had them), extensions, veneers, implants, botox, collagen in the lips, colored contacts?? At what point does one person need to examine what's going on inside? And stop throwing so much money at the outside?

Some people may argue that this is indeed America and people have the right to do what they want. Where do you stand on this? I'm really curious...

11 comments:

*Jac* said...

I'm not a fan of fake stuff. There are many times that I say "oh, I wish I could have liposuction." (usually after trying to buy a bathing suit.)Or the appeal of fake boobs. But I feel that if I did any of it, I would lose that essential me-ness that my look conveys. Sure, I might look hot, but I wouldn't look like me.

WILLIAM said...

I like Boobs.

That is all.

DevilsHeaven said...

I think once it becomes overtly obvious that things are fake, that's too much. There are times when I wish I had extensions, or a boob lift, or lipo. But seriously, who can take you seriously if half of you is fake?

Gladys said...

I look at some of the most beautiful women in the movies and want to cry when they alter themselves to the point that they no longer look like themselves.

I don't do fake nails, nor have kevlar in my lips. I don't wear false eyelashes and I haven't had botox. My body is what it is and it is my soul I have chosen to re-work. It costs less and you don't have the same recovery time from surgery.

This year I've had my spirit lifted, my negativity sucked out an my hope plumped up. Do I look any younger?

Karen R said...

I almost had my eyes done but when I found out I'd have to have a staple in my head forever, I backed out. I think enhancements are fine, but when you have an unnatural look about you(permanently surprised, related to a carp, your girls standing at attention when you're 60), then you just look silly. And I doubt that's the look anyone wants! I used to think Meg Ryan was so cute, but now she just looks like someone whacked her in the mouth with a 2 x 4.

Kristin said...

I think it's like home improvement projects... once you start, there's something else you didn't realize you needed to tend to. Always something on the "to do" list.

I think overall American's place way too much importance on physical appearance and self image.

Chris H said...

Each to their own.... it shouldn't matter what we look like.. but it does, to us! I hated my sagging belly after having 6 kids and a huge weight loss.. so I fixed it. The boobs.. now lets not even go there! Breastfeed 6 kids and you can guess the result! But I ain't going to mess with them babies, they are a major erogenous zone (sp?).. and there is no way I'm going to bugger that up! LOL.... too much info eh?

chandy said...

(Probably TMI, but...) when I was nursing, I had the most glorious boobs ever, if I do say so myself. After my lactating days were over, they kinda shrunk a bit. I'd be lying if I said I didn't wish I could have those girls back! But, I wouldn't actually do anything about it. I'd never take the risk of a surgery that wasn't medically necessary, and I wouldn't waste the time or money on something lik that.

I know you missed the Oscars, but have you seen pictuers of Sofia Loren? There's a picture of what too much cosmetic surgery can do to a person...yikes!

Sue said...

The only think fake about me is my nails. I've had acrylics for about twenty years now. Without them I have total baby hands...not that there's anything wrong with that.

I've often thought about a nip here or a tuck there, but can't bring myself to really do anything. Saggy, giggly, droopy...it's all part of me. Thankfully Hubby loves me the way I am, so why change?

Jessie said...

There is such a fine line between the miracles of modern medicine and the selfishness of plastic surgery. I mean, God created and gave those abilities to Dr.'s, what's the problem with paying for it? I am honestly have a case-by-case opinion with this stuff.

Of course, I wouldn't mind a tuck and lift, you know.

The wonderful Erik loves my body, as it is. Isn't it wonderful to married to men who see past the superficial?

Coffee Bean said...

You know... one of the cool things about being over 40 is perspective. I spent all my younger years focussed on all that I did not like about my body. My husband has always been the same toward me... whether I'm thin or fat... whether I have make up on or don't. There's this weird thing where you still want other people to think your attractive... when the one you are spending your life with already does. It is all silly. My body is in its worst shape ever but... I get it now and I've never been happier with my husband and things between us totally rock. There's more to life than the outward. You know? A new set of girls could feed a family in a third world for over a year...