Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Where Are You Christmas?

I've been feeling a little Grinch-y this year about Christmas. And I don't really know why. I just feel like I am being forced into it, like it's coming so fast and I can't stop it. And I normally love the holidays. But this year?? Not so much.

So I need to focus. Get into the Christmas spirit. Shake off the Scroogieness. Think about all the things I love about Christmas. Things like...

... My Christmas Tree - Which is so beautiful!

... All my gorgeous ornaments that make me happy.

... Seeing a tree strapped to the roof of a car.

... Watching Love Actually.

... Listening to Uberman sing "I feel it in my fing-ahs!" after watching Love Actually.

... Boo singing Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer in the shower.

... The smell of wrapping paper and ribbon.

... My SIL's fudge. It's a party in your mouth.

... Frank Sinatra singing Jingle Bells.

... Breakfast at my MIL's on Christmas morning (which usually includes Uberman's Nana's homemade chorizo).

... Christmas Cookie Yankee Candles.

... Watching The Family Man.

... Baking cookies.

... Christmas parties.

... My pearl snowman earrings, a gift from MIL's best friend Patty.

... Christmas cards in the mail.

... My new True Shimmer Peppermint Rush chapstick.

... My Aunt K's no bake cookies. She makes them every year on Christmas day just for me.

... Watching Home Alone with the kids.

... Dean Martin singing Baby It's Cold Outside.

... Balsam and Cedar Yankee Candles.

... Bath & Body Works Mistletoe soap.

... My red, faux fur trimmed Christmas purse.

... My comfy flannel red plaid Mickey Mouse Christmas pajama bottoms.

... Watching Elf.

... Johnny Mathis singing It's Beginning to Look a lot Like Christmas.

... My sparkly silver ball earrings.

... White twinkle lights.

... Making Wonder Mix for the neighbors. (And Uberman, who hates sharing it with the neighbors.)

... Watching Christmas Vacation.

... Seeing Uberman in his "Merry Christmas, Shitter Was Full" t-shirt.

... Getting all dressed up to have lunch a few days before Christmas with just my mom and Boo.

... Mint M&M's.

These are a few of my favorite things......

11 comments:

fattylumpa said...

I totally understand. I have felt like Christmas was SO far away, mostly because I got my shopping done SO early, which made me feel like I had made a big accomplishment, and it kind of seemed like there was nothing left to do. Plus we couldn't even think about decorating or anything until we got all our traveling out of the way. So now that our trips have come and gone, this weekend is Decorate or Bust, and I can't believe how quickly it's snuck up. Also, present wrapping, gift sending, card writing, oh my. My parents are coming Christmas Eve and we are hosting and there is SO much to be done. Not to mention which, this is my first Christmas in this area, and well, it just ain't home. Over all I am so happy here, but there is something about this time of year that makes me long for the big city up north. I'm a little heartsick.

But...there's all the things you just listed. (I NEED a picture of this purse, please.) And, I have just the thing to put you in the Christmas spirit....and it will be getting mailed this weekend. Get excited :)

Stacey said...

Fur trimmed Christmas purse? This, I must see. Please?

I'm not feeling Christmas this year, either. It's silly, really. The kids are excited, Scott is excited, everyone is excited except me. I need to take a page our of your book and make my own list of things I'm thankful for. Maybe then I'll dig myself out of my funk and snap out of it.

PS - The purse. I have to see it.

Sue said...

I'm so glad I'm not the only Grinch out there this year. I just can't seem to get into it. I've been shopping and doing those things I'm "supposed" to be doing, which maybe is part of the problem. It does seem forced this year.

I've even been trying to talk the family out of putting up our tree this year, but no luck on that. We are going to finally get it up on Sunday...(great way to spend my birthday) Whoopee...whatever.

One bright light in my Christmas planning though is that trifle of yours. Got the recipe printed out and ready to go. I'll let you know how it goes. PUMPKIN PIE filling...not pumpkin...got it.

Kristi said...

Great list! We just watched Christmas Vacation again this afternoon - my husband would LOVE that t-shirt!

We're supposed to get snow this weekend, so I think that may help my Christmas spirit. I'll save some for you!

kristen s said...

Okay, I NEED to know where Uberman got his Merry Christmas, Shitter was full T-shirt! Cousin Eddie is my fave. I must have one.

But April, I'm so with you on the not-so-excited-for-Christmas feeling. For me, it's become SUCH a job. My husband has been out of town SO much (3 states this week alone), I have to do ALL of the shopping, wrapping, shipping, baking, cleaning, child rearing -- freaking EVERYTHING by myself... and I start wishing I was 5 again and I could just enjoy everything without the work. -- {End Rant}

Enough of my pity party ... I am a very lucky person and someone needs to tell me to quit my bitchin' and be grateful... so I will :)

chandy said...

You know what makes me feel all Christmas-y? Listening to the scene where sweet little Linus reads Luke's story of Christ's birth. Maybe I'm a big softie, but it always makes me tear up. That's what Christmas is all about, Charlie Brown.

Practically Joe said...

"Boo singing Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer in the shower."
What the heck is Rudolph doing in the shower?
I want to hear that song!

Becky said...

Okay...in my best Will Ferrell elf voice...here goes...

"Ooohh, what's wondermix, I want some?"

Do share.

Oh...and I love (kinda sad, I know) the Quaid character to which you are referring...maybe because the shitter is always full here at maidville! LOL

Hey, I'll give you a quarter to rub my bunyons.

:) Hee Hee

The Maid

for a different kind of girl said...

I have never watched Love Actually, but so many of you out there in the world dig it out this time of year and mention it, so I need to dig this treasure up and see what it's all about. Plus, Hugh Grant, so I can deal with that.

:)

Katie @ 3 Blondes and a Redhead said...

I'm so bummed you're feeling Grinch-ish. I think it's the economy. I blame everything these days on the economy.

Sounds like someone needs another peppermint martini to bring on the holiday cheer...

Kristin said...

Yes, what IS Wonder Mix? I think my neighbors might like some as well. Please share.