Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Recipe Day - Part Deux: The Revenge of the Recipe

Hello cyber friends... Guess what?? I'm an idiot. Yes, shocking but true.

So remember last week when I was all, "Oh look at me, I am so cool and sophisticated. I'm making my mom's Pumpkin Gingerbread Trifle for Thanksgiving. Because I'm awesome. Watch out Rachel Ray, you're going down. Bee-yotch."

Well get this. I make the trifle. It's very easy. I put it in a trifle bowl. Yes, I totally own one. Because that's what you do when you're a sophisticated trifle maker. You have the proper equipment. I take it to my MIL's house. Everyone oohs and aaahs. I nod, blush and feign embarrassment. "Oh, please!" I say. "Really, it was nothing."

During dessert, I carry it to the dining room like a golden idol. I set it down, imagining the sound of angel trumpets as it rests on the smooth wooden surface of my MIL's dining table. I serve helpings to the other guests confidently. "Enjoy," I tell them, as though I have just handed them a moist, delicious, whipped cream covered pile of cash.

After everyone is served, I take a small helping for myself. I take a bite, anxious to savor the fruits of my labor. I am overwhelmed with the strong taste . . . of pumpkin. Not sweet pumpkin pie pumpkin. Just pumpkin. Hmmm, I think. This does not taste like mom's. I take another bite. Oh. My. God. This is disgusting. I put the spoon down and look around the room. People are talking, laughing, sipping coffee and eating. No one seems to notice the trifle is gross. Why is it gross?? What the heck did I do wrong here???

On Sunday, my mom brings the kids home from their weekend visit with her. "How did your trifle turn out?" she asks.

"Well," I tell her. "It didn't taste as good as yours. Not nearly as sweet. I think I did something wrong. It was really pumpkin-y."

"What kind of pumpkin pie filling did you use?" she asks. And with that, a light bulb went on over my head. I had not used pumpkin pie filling. Oh, no my dear friends. Even though the recipe specifically called for it. In my haste to get the heck out of the grocery store that evening, I had purchased . . . a can of pumpkin. Just a plain can of pumpkin. Hello?? Culinary moron, party of one please.

I served raw canned pumpkin to my husband's family. Including his 78 year old Nana. I don't think they'll be asking me to bring a dish again.... Sigh.

So here is the recipe, if any of y'all want to try it for your Christmas/Holiday Festivities. Better luck to you than I had. Oh how it sucks being stupid....

Pumpkin Gingerbread Trifle (This is a Paula Deen Recipe)

14 ounce package gingerbread mix (I used Krusteaz brand)
1 large box cook and serve vanilla pudding mix
1 30 ounce can PUMPKIN PIE FILLING
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 teaspoon cinnamon
1 12 oz container frozen whipped topping
1/2 cup gingersnaps (optional) or 1/2 cup toasted pecans

Bake the gingerbread according to the package directions. Cool completely. Meanwhile, prepare the pudding and set aside to cool. Once cooled, stir the PUMPKIN PIE FILLING, sugar and cinnamon into the pudding. Crumble 1/2 batch of gingerbread into the bottom of a large, clear bowl (or if you're cool like me, use a trifle bowl). Pour 1/2 of pudding mixture over the gingerbread, then add a layer of the whipped topping. Repeat with remaining gingerbread, pudding and whipped topping. Sprinkle top with crushed gingersnaps and/or toasted pecans, if desired. Refrigerate overnight.

When prepared properly, it is delicious. Bon Apetite! (Because that's what you say when you cook a lot and know what you're doing.) Watch out Top Chef - April is in the house. Holl-ah!

12 comments:

chandy said...

Oooh...I've made that trifle before and it is totally delish! I'm sure it will turn out better next time :)

Remember that episode of friends when Rachel makes the trifle except the pages of her cookbook are stuck together and she adds peas and gravy and stuff? See, it could have been worse!

And what exactly is Hunko Drunko Bunco? Is that as fun as it sounds?

April said...

"Peas - goood. Meat - gooood." My husband repeats those lines everytime he's served this trifle. Ha!! Great minds Chandy! Great Minds!

And Hunko Drunko Bunco is going to be AWESOME!! You know how Jess, Katie and I are in a bunco group together, right? Well we decided to add the husbands for our Christmas bunco. And since we are adding husbands, why not cocktails?? We need an extra couple, if you can get a sitter you and your husband should TOTALLY come!! Email me!!

Practically Joe said...

April ... Thanks for the recipe.
Now when you say a container of frozen whipped topping ...
Would that be whipped potatoes?
I want to make sure I get this right.

Sara Jane said...

This is so the story of my life...

Thanks for the recipe!

DevilsHeaven said...

This is why I stick to Jiffy Mix.
What the heck is a trifle bowl? Or even, what the heck is trifle????

Sue said...

Oh April, this sounds so good. And I actually have a trifle bowl that I've used all of about once. And I don't remember what it was I made...I think I may actually try this. It would SO impress my mother..."Oh, I see you FINALLY used that trifle bowl I gave you way back when..."

Katie @ 3 Blondes and a Redhead said...

I've had this trifle and it is divine. My mom made it a few years ago. (because the two of you are kindred spirits)

I used pumpkin pie filling instead of raw pumpkin once and the muffins I made tasted like pumpkin flavored balls of sugar. They really need to sell those things on separate aisles.

And Practically Joe cracked me up! I mix up whipped topping and whipped potatoes constantly. Totally ruins my Shepherd's Pie every time...

Peas...good...meat...gooood...

chandy said...

Ha! Mixing alcohol with dice sounds like a recipe for fun :)
I don't think I have your e-mail addy though... feel free to drop me a line anytime, since I kinda feel like I know you already... jmccaz at yahoo dot com

DutchMac said...

You know what's really creepy? When I read the original blog about the trifle, I was sooooooo tempted to make a 'Rachel' comment. But I thought it would come out all sarcastic, condescending, patronizing, and any of those other types of things that are just plain not nice.

And now, because I didn't mention it then, I have to look like a tag-along riding on everyone else's comments; like I couldn't be bothered to come up with something original to say.

So I apologize, dear blogging friend, for I have now let you down TWICE. Next time I have a sarcastic, condescending, and patronizing comment to make, I shall let it flow forth uninhibited.

kristen s said...

At least if Ube's family had never eaten it before, they didn't notice it as much as you did... and just think how healthy it was!

I have a holiday food mishap I'll never live down either. My husband's family ALWAYS has this jello, pretzel salad thing at every gathering (yes, they are a Jello family and no, I didn't come from one). It's got a sugar, butter and pretzel crust, then the middle is cream cheese and powdered sugar mixed, and the topping is strawberry jello with sliced strawberries in it. Sounds easy enough, right? WRONG. I was assigned this dish one year, and, not having come from a "Jello" family, didn't know how to work with the stuff other than just following the basic box directions. I made it from the recipe my MIL gave me, and poured the jello on top while it was still too warm, so it seeped through the entire thing and was instantly ruined. I had to go buy ALL NEW INGREDIENTS and make a new one. This time, I was paranoid about the jello being too hot, so I put it in the fridge to cool a bit first... except it set too much. Instead of having the smooth, pretty strawberry top the whole clan was used to, mine looked like the kids had played war on top of it with action figures. My lovely husband named it "massacre salad" and his whole family laughed til they cried and called me "jello challenged". That was about a decade ago, and they still bring it up... AT EVERY GATHERING. They live in town too, so there are many. The good news is, they've never assigned me that dish again. Now they have me bring potatoes (which I totally kick ass at) or drinks (which I guess I should be offended for), but whatever.

BTW, I am sooo missing your daily blog. Start doing it again. I don't care if you're busy -- I need something FUN to read!

DutchMac said...

Love the new blog look. Very festive!

ed said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.