Saturday, November 8, 2008

Nots

Just because I believe it is appropriate to give credit where it is due, I got this idea from Brooke at Skrinkering Hearts. She's a doll. Check her out.

My Nots: I am not the type of girl to blow smoke up your bum. If you ask for my opinion, you're going to get it. I am not going to tell you that you look great when you don't, or that you acted appropriately when you didn't, or that you are justified in being a bitch if you aren't. I am not going to tell you you're baby is cute if I don't think he or she is. I may say she has big eyes or he has a sweet smile, but if I don't think he's cute I am not going to lie to you.

I am not a fan of vegetables. I wish I were, but I am not. I have gotten better over the years. I will eat tomatoes now and I don't spend the entire meal picking out the onions. I will eat various veggies if they are raw, but I don't enjoy them cooked. I am not oblivious to the fact that this is an unhealthy way to live and that I am passing on the picky-ness to my children. I am not ignorant and I know my eating habits are relative to my current issues with weight. But I am not unhappy with who I am and I do not think the size of my clothes define me as a person.

I am not always patient, understanding and kind. Although I do forgive pretty easily and I am always willing to admit when I am wrong. I am not always slow to speak and I say things without thinking. I am not always even tempered, but I almost always know when I am being unreasonable, even if I don't admit it right then and there. I'm not always careful with my heart and I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt a little too often. I am not always careful with my words and I tend to say things without realizing I am being hurtful.

I am not someone who wants to hear excuses, and I don't give them often either. I don't have patience for people who can't do their jobs because they are lazy or inflexible. I am not someone who is afraid to apologize if I made a mistake. I believe people trust you more if you take ownership. I am not someone who likes to say no, I want to make people happy even if it means I am miserable.

I am not the mother who says "Oh no, not my kid." I am fully aware of what my children are capable of and I am not so fixated on being their friend that I forget I need to mould them into functional adults some day. I am not one to shield them from the hardships of life. But I am also not the mom who is going to stand there, confident that she did the best she could and not look back. I will always wonder what I could have done better.

I am not a fan of change, yet I am adventurous and I like to try new things. I will adapt as long as I am given a little time to do so. I am not someone who can keep their feelings bottled inside, I need to vent in order to process it and move on. And I am not someone who can move on without closure.

I am not the same woman I was 10 years ago. And I don't have time for people who refuse to grow. Or for people who can't let go of who I used to be and get to know me now. I am not a girl who is totally comfortable with how she looks, but who loves the person she is on the inside and hopes with all her heart and soul, that girl is the one people see.

I am not someone who is afraid of the future. I am not finished growing, learning and experiencing life around me. I am not single minded. I can see your side of it if you will take the time to explain it to me. I can appreciate your point of view, even if I don't agree.

I do not appreciate being labeled or pigeon holed, especially if you can't take the time to get to know me. I am not a typical woman. A typical Christian. A typical mom or wife or daughter or friend. I am unique. I am not someone who can look forward without ever looking back. I want to see how far I have come.

4 comments:

Becky said...

Note to self, when this baby actually decides to be born...watch for April saying what great eyes he has...that could mean he is one ugly baby! LOL

:)
The Maid

Kristi said...

This is a great post April! Sometimes the absolute best way to know someone is to understand what they are NOT.

kristen s said...

Hey, thanks April... I'm pretty sure you told me each of my kids had sweet smiles and big eyes. Now I know what you were REALLY thinking... ;)

Sue said...

Excellent post April! I loved it. We are very, very similar, but I'm NOT going to tell you how! Ha! (You already know though...)

Really great though, seriously.