Sunday, November 2, 2008

The Holiday Season - Whoop De Doo

Well lookee here. It's November! Is that how you spell "lookee"? Or would you say Lookie? Or Looky? Oh who cares.

It's November. Can you people believe that? I can not. Even though we just celebrated Halloween. Even though every store you go into has Christmas decorations on display already. Even though they were hanging Christmas lights on the palm trees outside of work on Thursday. Notice how I said NOVEMBER?? Not December. Have you noticed how we transition from Halloween to Christmas just like that? We totally skip over Thanksgiving. What's the rush, people? Remember when the Christmas season did not start until the day after Thanksgiving? And now it's like the whole holiday just gets passed over. I wonder if Thanksgiving is pissed about that?

Well I for one am not ready for Christmas. I am just not into it this year. Why, you ask?

Because it's 88 FREAKING DEGREES OUTSIDE. STILL!!

It was so hot Halloween night that the chocolate candy I was passing out, MELTED. My kids are still wearing shorts to school every day. They just stopped swimming a month ago.

I did turn the air conditioner off today and I have the windows open. But it's borderline uncomfortably warm in the house. So I just can't get into thinking about putting up a Christmas tree and stringing lights on palm trees right now. And I love Christmas. I love this time of year. I love the crowded malls and the music and shopping and wrapping presents and baking. Love it! But not yet. Not when it's 88 degrees and the house is still full of Halloween candy. (Because most of the trick or treaters chose the beer over the candy, surprise!)

Sigh. I never thought I would say this, but I miss the snow. Only at this time of year. I grew up in Utah, have I told you that? No, I'm not Mormon. But I miss the cool weather and the need for coats and boots and gloves and scarves. I miss that very first snow fall. Where you wake up one morning and the ground is blanketed in white. It's quiet and peaceful. And you just can't help but get excited for Christmas.

Christmas lights on a cactus or palm tree is just not the same. Do you know, I do not even own a coat? I have oodles of jackets. And a few years ago, I had the most gorgeous coat with a fur (save the emails, it was faux) lined hood. But I never wore it. Not once. So I gave it to my mom because she lives up north where it does occasionally snow. And it pisses me off to see her wearing it because she looks so cute in it and it was mine.

OMG! I just had a light bulb moment! I think I know how Thanksgiving feels!!

Global warming sucks.

11 comments:

Lisa J said...

Oh, my dear friend April. I will happily send you all the snow we get up here from January to May. Because I'm just that good of a friend to you. I'm so not ready for winter again. :)

Caitlin said...

Shut up and get out of my head!! I totally have a post like this in the works.

Only it's about how I LOVE the holiday season, and am already having to be told NO, NOT WHILE IT'S STILL SEPTEMBER (cuz it was)...

Becky said...

Global warming is a hoax.

Polar bears are getting what they deserve. LOL

Becky said...

Spare me the emails people, it was a joke.

Kristi said...

LOL Becky!!!!

The older I get the less I am able to tolerate the "Holiday Season" consumerism - it makes me want to move to a commune and make everbody peanut-butter pinecone birdfeeders for gifts. I refuse to think about Christmas yet! La, la, la, not listening.

WILLIAM said...

Well let me be the first to wish you a meryy Christmas this year.

Merry F-ing Christmas.

Accidental housewife said...

Yes, I understand your plight. I too usually live in the desert where a cold front means it drops from 185 degrees down to 183 degrees. Oh and any chance of rain and the media acts like it's a torrential rain storm with chances of the second great flood.

Not this year. This year I'm spending it in Moantana where the men are men and so are the...well never mind. The temps have been WONDERFUL! They are expecting snow this week and I'm down in Texas where it's 85 ding dong degrees visiting my family.

Trisha said...

I feel the same way - about the holidays and the heat! Try to enjoy!

DevilsHeaven said...

I know how Thanksgiving feels, abandoned, just like me and my siblings, because our Mother is heading down your way for the winter, and she couldn't even wait til AFTER Thanksgiving, she's leaving on the 17th, 10 small days before Thanksgiving.
So Happy F'in Thanksgiving MOM!

ahem.

Chris H said...

Christmas... we have ours in summer, can't imagine it in winter! Would love a white Christmas one day!

Jessie said...

It's not global warming, silly. It's all the hot-air coming from the political campaigns. I can't wait for tomorrow to be over...