Sunday, November 16, 2008

The Heir to the Throne

My firstborn is 11 today. Eleven. How did this happen??

I can remember how I felt the exact moment I found out I was pregnant with him. It was a moment that changed my life forever. I can remember everything about being pregnant. I can remember everything about his birth, when he was a baby, all of his firsts. I documented everything. I took millions of pictures. The other two kids? Yeah, not so much. Why is that?

I have talked a lot about Junior here. And I realize I am his mother, but let's face it, he's an exceptional kid. He's a grown man trapped in the body of an 11 year old. He's an old soul. This is my child who is responsible, nurturing, compassionate, charismatic. He'll talk to anyone and everyone, he doesn't care if they're young or old, big or little, black, white or green. He loves to make friends. He loves to learn about people.

My son reads. Anything. Everything. He is often curled up on the couch or on his bed with a book or a magazine. He watches the Discovery channel, ESPN and CNBC. The kid TiVo's Mad Money. He loves Top Gear and will tell you everything you want to know about cars. He loves history and science and wants to work for the FBI if he can't play professional baseball.

He laughs with his whole body. He loves with his whole heart. He believes in people. He has an unshakable faith in God and all that is good. He is quite simply extraordinary.

He has been blessed with an amazing head of curly hair, big blue eyes and the deepest dimples you have ever seen. He is smart. He is persuasive. He takes my breath away. He makes me want to be a better person. I am so proud to be his mother.

Happy birthday Junior! Thank you for making me a mom. You have always made it so easy for me. And although I want so badly to freeze time, to keep you exactly as you are now, I can hardly wait to see the man you will become. Let's take it slow getting there, shall we?

9 comments:

kristen s said...

I remember seeing Junior and his adorable dimples when he was just an eensy weensy newborn. The kid was so cute, he made me need a second child. God answered my prayers with my own dimple cheeked grown man in a child's body. How lucky are we?

I also remember how excited you were to find out he was on the way! Happy Birthday, Junior! BTW, April, you're gonna have to fight the girls off with a broomstick for that boy. Daniel Craig's baby blues have nothing on his...

Kristi said...

Happy Birthday to your little man! He sounds just amazing!

Chris H said...

What an awesome post ! HAPPY BIRTHDAY gorgeous dimpled boy! Hope your next 11 years are as much fun as the first.

DevilsHeaven said...

Very sweet! Happy B-day kid!

Accidental housewife said...

Happy Birthday to the Heir Apparent. They grow up way too fast.

Sue said...

Happy, happy Birthday Junior!

for a different kind of girl said...

Happy birthday to your first born! My own first born turned 11 last August, and everything you say about that time when you are pregnant for the first time and how aware you are of everything is so very, very true!

Caitlin said...

You know that I stinking love him without even having met him. If only one day I can be as lucky as you are, to have a son like that.
Happy Birthday, baby boy.
(Because yes, you will always be your mama's baby boy, even when you're old and wrinkled and your kids are old and wrinkled and THEIR kids are old and wrinkled too. Just thought you should know.)

DutchMac said...

Junior is only a couple days of my own birthday, so I feel I can say (with some degree of confidence) that you are truly blessed to have someone from the absolute BEST time of the year in your household. We Scorpios can certainly be, um, challenging, shall I say, but Life with us carries some great rewards, too.

Happy Birthday Junior!