Thursday, October 2, 2008

Housekeeping!

Have you ever done this? Decided to straighten up a little because you have been so busy these past few weeks that your chores have gotten a little neglected?

So you clean off your bathroom vanity and scrub your shower and tub and toilet. Then you think, oh since I am cleaning this bathroom I might as well clean the other downstairs bathroom. The "powder" room. Where nothing ever gets powdered. But whatever.

So you squirt the toilet cleaner around the toilet bowl and as you're letting it kind of marinate for a minute you clean the sink. And while you are cleaning the sink you notice the decorative towels are all kittywampis so you straighten them. And while you are straightening the towels you see the dust on the top of the towel bar so you take your wet cleaning towel to it. And while you are wiping the towel bar you notice that wrought iron decorative candle holder thingy hanging above the towels is covered in dust as well. And as you are dusting the candles and candle holder thingy you start wondering when was the last time a non-family member used this bathroom and ohmygod did they notice how dusty this thing was/is?

And while you are thinking about this you drop the toilet cleaner you are holding under your arm so you bend down to pick it up and notice the tops of your baseboards are grey instead of white because they too are so covered in dust. So you gasp and get down on your hands and knees and start scrubbing the baseboards and suddenly you are coughing and sneezing and have to get up to escape the cloud of dust and dust bunnies you are kicking up into your face from the tile floor.

And then you think holy crap when was the last time I mopped this floor?? And then you are horrified because not only can you not remember when was the last time you mopped that floor, you can't pinpoint the date of the last time you mopped any floor. And as a matter of fact, you can't even think of where your mop might be??

And then you start thinking, April . . . . or whatever your name is . . . . maybe you should stop worrying about your microwave and start paying more attention to your floors???

Has this ever happened to you?? No?? Yeah, me neither. I mean gross. Who would allow their home to get so disgusting? Certainly not I. Or you either. Right? I mean I think I may have heard about something like this on Oprah or some place but I have never experienced this for myself. Nope. No siree....

13 comments:

Lisa J said...

I totally do that EVERY DAY. Oh...except the actual cleaning part.

Kristi said...

Word.

Although, I like your description much better than the actual realization of the mausoleum-like atmosphere of my powder room.

kristen s said...

April, when were you in my bathroom? I never even saw you come into my house, yet you described it perfectly (right down to the dust bunnies) so you must have snuck in.

Ooooh, you wanna know something really sick? I'm so ashamed to admit this, but just two days ago, for the first time in 10 YEARS, I had my kitchen tile professionally cleaned. Mind you, I have mopped semi-regularly through the years... mostly with my handy wet Swiffer, but I think we all know that's just not the same.

April, my floor is a different color. Don't even get me started on the grout. You know the 5 second rule? It should never have applied in my home. My kids have probably ingested things worse than you would find living on an airport toilet.

BTW, the Oprah show called and they want to schedule me for an appearance. I'm pretty sure the dude that cleaned my floor called and turned me in after he escap... I mean left.

Caitlin said...

What's a mop?

for a different kind of girl said...

Oh, never. Not at all. Never ever.

Ha!

Chris H said...

Babe, I BELIEVE you, I really really do! (in me dreams).... and that would NEVER be my loo... I'm sure. *snigger*

Becky said...

I don't care how bad my bathrooms get...I'd still rather pee there than anywhere in public! LOL
:)

Oh, and what is that yellow stuff on the baseboards in my hall bathroom? I mean it is opposite the toilet so it couldn't be pee could it? Anyone? Anyone?

The Maid

DevilsHeaven said...

I had this happen, right after we did a "deep cleaning" for when my MIL visited. These were all the things I missed.
Look up, see that thing that is the air vent that looks more like your dryer vent after a load of towels? Um, yeah.

Stacey said...

Nope. Never happened to me. And why, you ask?

Meet Gayle. My babysitter/house cleaner GURU!

She rocks!!

Get yourself one.

Katie @ 3 Blondes and a Redhead said...

I hate cleaning bathrooms. Especially after Ryan's pee-aiming issue we discussed last night...I think I just threw up a little in my mouth...

Man, I miss my cleaning people. As soon as we make more money around here, I'm hiring them back ASAP!

Coffee Bean said...

Hey! Blogger ate my comment!

I'm afraid I might be your future.

Sue said...

Things like that happen to me EVERYTIME I try to get ANYTHING done in my house...sometimes I wonder why I bother to start anything...

Bogart in P Towne said...

Did you ever make it back to the toilet or is there still soap germinating on the seat?