Friday, October 17, 2008

Hello? Alex P. Keaton, is that you?

Junior: Mom, here's something you can appreciate. We were discussing celebrities today because that is one of our spelling words this week.

Me: Yeah? Were you talking about Madonna's divorce? Or Jennifer Aniston and John Mayer possibly reuniting? I personally think she is making a huge mistake. Or did you guys talk about how cute Jake and Reese are together?

He: Uh, Mom? Focus.

Me: Sorry.

He: Mrs. [Teacher] asked us to name vain celebrities. So of course I said George Clooney.

Me (laughing): Why did you pick George Clooney?

He: Oh come on. That guy is so full of himself.

Me: What makes you say that?

He: He's everywhere. He's always talking about (finger quotes in the air, uses mocking tone) world peace. He's so annoying.

Me: (staring)
.
He: He just talks to hear his own voice. So people will think he's cool.
.
Me: (still staring, mouth open a little)
.
He: Like he's so smart. I mean, come on! The guy plays pretend for a living. Like I'm going to let him tell me who to vote for. (chuckles to himself)
.
Me: You're 10.
.
He: Almost 11.
.
Me: Still. You can't vote.
.
He: I know. What a drag. (shakes head) I just hate it when celebrities use their fame to promote their own political agenda. (walks away)
.
Me: (mouth open)
.
He: Hey, can I start my own blog?
.
And it's official. My son is a 50 year old conservative Republican trapped in a 10 (almost 11) year old's body. If he asks for a sweater vest for his birthday, I am going to freak out.

12 comments:

DevilsHeaven said...

I'm sorry, but he riped on George and he's still breathing?????????????
Oh, I, just, Oh, oh oh. No.

Mary said...

Oh my gosh, I almost spit my tea out. April, could he sound more like you? Oh my heck, that is some funny stuff. "My son is a 50 year old conservative Republican trapped in a 10 (almost 11) year old's body," I'm still laughing.

Trisha said...

Too funny! Get that kid a blog so he can find others with like minds. They might be 50 and Republicans but . . . he will be among others like him!

Hee Hee!

April said...

oh, my...he sounds hauntingly like my son does at times. How/why do they act more mature than I am?? :)

kristen s said...

April, Junior and my 9 year old need to go out and discuss politics over lunch. Although my son has never singled out George Clooney, we recently had an eerily similar conversation.

He draws pictures of John McCain, has a Time for Kids picture of him tacked up in his room and tells me he gets into arguments with other kids at school who aren't Republican. His teacher must think we're political activists or something...I'm so embarassed for parent/teacher conferences. I've tried to make him understand that discussing those things at school is inappropriate, but he claims he can't help it. He was also almost inconsolable the other night because we missed the first 15 minutes of the debate. This kid just turned 9 in August!

The highlight of his life was when his great grandpa gave him one of his bronze star medals from World War II (actually that was pretty cool...) What IS a little odd though, is that he just loves old people. Strikes up conversations with them whenever he gets a chance. Don't get me wrong, I'm enormously proud of this, but you have to admit... this is not normal 9 year old boy behavior.

Maybe there's a support group you and I can go to? Oh, and I know I've already told you this, but I would LOVE to read Junior's blog. You should totally let him start one!

DutchMac said...

Funny, funny, funny. Is it wrong of me to wish you had cameras set up in your house so we could witness all these fun things, too? Does that make me reality-show obsessed, or just plain creepy?

Katie @ 3 Blondes and a Redhead said...

Hill-larious!!! "He talks to hear his own voice..." where does he come up with this stuff??? Oh yeah - YOU. :)

Sue said...

"I just hate it when celebrities use their fame to promote their own political agenda."

Junior is BRILLIANT!

Jessie said...

Nixon was framed!

Becky said...

Can we talk about a possible betrothal between my sweet 12 year old daughter and your mature almost 11 year old son?

I mean, I've always prayed for a Christian man for her to marry one day, but a conservative Republican one would really top my ice cream sundae off with the proverbial cherry!

(Can Queen's and Maid's kids marry...or is that forbidden?)

The Maid

Bogart in P Towne said...

Tell your son that I am looking for a good campaign manager...and I don't want my age to be an issue.

Caitlin said...

I'm dying. I am actually, LITERALLY dying reading this. I want to take your 10 year old out for a drink.

....some scotch, from the sounds of it.