Saturday, October 25, 2008

The Disney Princess


Our baby Boo turned the big oh-five today. I honestly can't believe it, the time has flown by. So I thought I would share a fun story with you about how she came to be. Well, I guess I should rephrase that. I am not going to tell you the really fun story about how she came to be, I'll leave that to your imagination. But let me tell ya, it's a good one! Oh, my. Sometimes I forget my mom and my MIL and various other family members read this blog.
.
Ahem... Anyway...
.
We had been trying to get pregnant again for a while. The first two, Junior and Mac, happened pretty much no problem. But this time, we were starting to wonder what the heck was going on. I was teasing Uberman about his underwear being too tight and how much time he was spending in front of electronics. And he was teasing me about being too old and my eggs dying and stuff. Really funny Uberman. Ha Ha.
.
So finally, it was the end of February. We were getting ready to go to Disneyland with Uberman's family (MIL, FIL, BIL and SIL and new nephew who was 6 months old). I took a home test the day we were leaving and it came up positive. Ah the glory of those two, beautiful pink lines! Which of course I did not believe. So I took a second test the next morning at the hotel before we went into the park. When it came up positive as well, Uberman and I decided to tell the whole family in Disneyland, our family's most favorite place in the world, the place where everyone believes in magic and dreams really do come true. (No, Disney did not pay me to shamelessly promote them.)
.
When we got inside the park, Uberman went to guest services and told them we wanted to tell our family we were going to have another baby. The people at Disneyland were very excited to help us with this and got really into shooting around ideas about how we could tell them. One guy got a little carried away. "Wouldn't it be great if we could do it during the parade? And we could have the whole Lion King scene where we release doves and Simba raises the lion cub in the air!" And we all stared at this guy as he was dancing around and flailing his arms and singing the chorus to "Circle of Life." I. Kid. You. Not. "What?" he asked. "Too over the top?"
.
In the end, the fabulous staff at guest services arranged for us to have a private meeting with Mickey and Minnie in the lobby of the theater leading to Great Moments with President Lincoln. So we started to lead the family down Main Street USA toward the theater, trying our best to be all casual. But MIL knew something was up. Uberman tried to tell her he wanted to show her something but she was too intuitive. She started asking me "What's going on? Where are we going? Are we going to be in the parade??" And I was trying so hard to play stupid. Which I am totally good at.
.
So we get to the theater, the guest services people lead the way in and told us to stand in front of this big curtain. We stood waiting for a moment, and then suddenly Mickey and Minnie stepped out from behind the curtain. Now I am assuming most of you have been to Disneyland or Disneyworld and you know how crowded it is waiting to get your picture taken with Mickey and/or Minnie. So you can imagine how cool it was to be there with them all by ourselves. They came out, just as cute as can be, holding hands and greeted each one of us. Then Mickey approached my MIL and FIL and pulled out a pair of Mickey ears with our due date embroidered on the back.
.
MIL was so excited. "Oh Mickey!" she said. "I get a present?" And then Mickey motioned for her to look at the back of the ears. FIL immediately started beaming at us and wiping the corners of his eyes. But MIL?? Well, she was a little confused. "Um, Mickey?" she asked. "It's not November."
.
So Mickey did that little silent giggle thing where he put his hand in front of his mouth, and then he turned and pointed at me. Suddenly the light bulb went on over her head and she started squealing and hugging us and crying. I am honestly not sure what she was more excited about, the fact that we were having another baby, or the fact that Mickey and Minnie got to tell her.
.
Either way, eight months later our own little princess was born (in October, two weeks early). The first girl in Uberman's whole family in over 30 years. Our own little piece of Disney magic.
.
Happy Birthday Boo! May your life always be filled with faith, trust and pixie dust. You are, by far, the best souvenir EVER!

11 comments:

Kristi said...

That is such a sweet story! Happy #5 to your little princess. Mine will be 4 at the end of the week and I can't believe how fast she's growing up.

Becky said...

We were pregnant together in 2003! :) Imagine that my friend!

My youngest girl will be five in December...and she is a little piece of Disney magic herself!

Glad you got your girl!

Happy BDAY Boo!

The Maid

Accidental housewife said...

I have tears in my very own eyes! What a great story! How fun.

Happy birthday boo!

for a different kind of girl said...

What a sweet, sweet story! Happy birthday to your little princess!

Coffee Bean said...

Happy Birthday Boo!!!

That story made me cry. So sweet!!! What a wonderful story for her!

Chris H said...

What a gorgeous story!

WILLIAM said...

Well that is a fun story. I bet the "really fun story" had to do with doing it Mousey Style?

Trisha said...

Those Disney folks are so great! This is such a wonderful story - I am sure Boo will love hearing it when she is older!

happy Birthday Boo!

kristen s said...

This is the sweetest pregnancy announcement ever. It's kind of the polar opposite of the "oh crap" proclamation I made when I found out #3 was on the way... and my husband's reaction was even less Hallmark worthy than my own. Of course, we love him so much, we should have thrown a parade. We're just not good with surprises :)

Happy birthday, Princess Boo!

Jessie said...

Happy Birthday Boo!

And April, that's the cutest story.

Like I've mentioned before, you're a magnet for cool and unusual happenings.

Bogart in P Towne said...

Very cool. I like that a lot.