Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Luck Be A Lady

Let's talk about taking risks for a moment, shall we?

I am not much of a risk taker. Safety is usually a sure thing. I am not big on taking a gamble and suffering the loss.

Yesterday, the office with Good Cop/Bad Cop called and offered me the job. And instead of being happy and excited, I was devastated. I knew I didn't want to work there. The hours they were assigning me were going to make things at home very difficult. The energy level there was not the same. I just didn't feel it, you know? Do you ever have to feel it to make a decision?

So I told Good Cop I needed to discuss it with my husband and I would call her back in the morning. I didn't sleep much last night. I should have been happy. Thankful to be given this opportunity when there are so many people who would have gladly taken it. But I would be worried about my babies, wondering if they were happy with their arrangements. Worried about the extra load I would be putting on Uberman. Worried about the additional inconvenience to my awesome MIL and SIL who offered to help with the kids. Worried that no matter what I did it would not be good enough for Bad Cop.

This morning I turned the job down. I thanked Good Cop for her time and the opportunity. And I explained that I had to be honest with her. The hours were not going to work for my family. And thankfully, I am in a position where my family can be my priority. Uberman and I both felt a little sick. My good friend Marci told me I had a set of balls and she wished she had my courage. But unfortunately, a good set of balls isn't going to pay the electric and put food on the table. Well maybe for some people. But that's a blog for a different day.

Four hours later, the other office called. Fun office. Dream office. Paradise office. They offered me the job in their office. I start Monday.

I took a risk. It payed off. I am not sure I will be trying that again. I am pretty sure my luck expired with that decision. But who cares? I am so happy!!

Do you know how hard it is to update your blog while jumping up and down?

21 comments:

Caitlin said...

oh my gosh April! I am soooo excited and have the biggest grin on my face reading this! ALWAYS always always go with your gut: It's never steered me wrong. Good on ya girl, wish we could go celebrate with a beer! xoxo

Stacey said...

Yay! Lobby smells like cookies office! So happy for you. How lucky you are to actually be excited about where you work. And the great hours. And the happy co-worker vibe. And the invisible commute. The list goes on, girlfriend.

I would never in a million years would have had the guts to turn job 1 down. But you did and it all worked out. I guess that's a lesson that we're meant to follow our gut feeling.

Rock on.

chandy said...

wow, that one was a nailbiter! Congrats on the fun new job April!

Becky said...

That is great news...it is also more than "balls" it is God. When you listen to the still small voice, well...I'm convinced that He knows the desires of our hearts and wants to give them to us.

You saved yourself a bunch of grief...and do you know there was a lot of wisdom in being honest and not selling out your family!

God, family, self...He rewards that!

Congrats and Amen!

Love ya,
Becky

Mom Taxi Julie said...

Yeah! Congrats on getting the GOOD job. Hopefully you will still call it that in a couple months lol.

Kristi said...

Ha! That is awesome! That's pretty much the way I live my life - by just doing what I feel in my gut and forgetting what my head says. It gets me in trouble a lot. My husband (whose birthday is the same day as yours) is just like you! Must be the Virgo thing.

Congrats! Very happy for you!

Sue said...

Yay! I'm so happy for you! It just goes to show you that on your list of 37 things you were totally right! Just look at #2 - perfect, you trusted yourself & #19 - you said "no".

Oh, I'm really happy and relieved for you.

Chris H said...

Gee Wizzz... congrats on the gamble paying off... wooooo hoooo! So happy for ya girl!

Kristi said...

Me again - to let you know I just gave you an award on my site. I love it when my reader says there is a post from you!

DevilsHeaven said...

OOOOHHH ! I was biting my nails to the very end there!!!! I am SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!! Always go with your gut, ALWAYS.

YAY APRIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DutchMac said...

CONGRATS TO YOU!!!!

Let me take a moment to shamelessly quote from a crap/wonderful 80s show ..........

I love it when a plan comes together.

:-)

Kathy said...

I've been visiting for a few weeks now. Congrats! You had me on the edge of my seat here.

kristen s said...

Hey April -

It's your birthday (almost) -

Hey April -

It's your birthday (almost)-

Can I get a whoop whoop?

Time to shop for new work shoes! If your two favorite smells are those of new shoes and cookies baking, then just imagine what the two will be like together. Heaven!

Roland Hulme said...

AWESOME post - I love that it all turned out perfect for you.

A late birthday present?

Good luck with the new job! I'm so happy for you!

Brenda said...

God is good. I am so thrilled for you. xoxo

gigglepotamus said...

I think sometimes your instincts can cloud & confuse things, but other times it's absolutely crystal clear. This is clearly a case of the latter. It sounds like you did the right thing turning down that job, whether you got the other one or not. But YAY! You got the one you wanted!! So happy for you.

By the way, I didn't know you worked in law enforcement??

;)

gigglepotamus said...

I think sometimes your instincts can cloud & confuse things, but other times it's absolutely crystal clear. This is clearly a case of the latter. It sounds like you did the right thing turning down that job, whether you got the other one or not. But YAY! You got the one you wanted!! So happy for you.

By the way, I didn't know you worked in law enforcement??

;)

gigglepotamus said...

damn that stutter....

Coffee Bean said...

Congratulations! I am so happy for you! Woot Woot!

Trisha said...

Yeah! Good for you! I love it when things work out like that - just in the right way!

Bogart in P Towne said...

So cool.

Very happy for you.

Congrats.