Friday, August 29, 2008

Something That Rhymes With You're "Kidding" Me

So I was messing around on Facebook mopping my kitchen floor this afternoon when Good Cop called. They want me to come in for a third interview. Except they want me to interview with someone else. At a different office.

So here's my theory. Bad Cop was not a fan. She's concerned that I am going to get bored in this position. I know this because she mentioned it twice. Asked me three different times if I had issues with being told to do something that was "beneath" me. A specific example she used was putting away office supplies since there is not an admin. My response was "I'm here to be part of a team. I will do whatever I can to help this office run smoothly."

I was confident. Because I know I can do this job. I have had jobs far more challenging than this one. But this is the job I want right now. This job will allow me to work, yet still be there for my kids when it counts. When Boo starts kindergarten next year, I can start thinking about stepping up a ladder. Right now I am willing to commit to a position I may very well be overqualified for in order to get my foot in the door and begin the process of learning a new business. I am fully aware I will be committed to this job for a year. I want to be committed for a minimum of a year.

I realize now it's not personal, it's business. I'm gonna have to go to the mattresses. Fight. Fight to the death. Third interview Wednesday. Time to bust out the big guns. Yes my friends, time to bust out the boots. So I can kick some ass properly.

I'm not messing around anymore. It's on. It's on like Donkey Kong. You want a third interview? I'll give you a third interview. It's gonna be the greatest third interview you have ever experienced. You're gonna hear angels sing. You're gonna see stars. You're gonna weep.

Or I will. It could go either way.

10 comments:

Stacey said...

After you go to the mattresses, bring Bad Cop a bouquet of freshly sharpened pencils.

If this is what you want, then this is the job you should go after. Regardless of what Bad Cop says. She's just threatned by you, just my theory.

Kristin said...

This is definitely the job for you and it's basically yours. People don't waste their time interviewing someone three times that they don't plan to hire. Well, smart people don't. My approach would be to bring it down a knotch. Wear something a little less kick-ass intimidating. A little more like the gal who would be covering all bases, including stocking office supplies. Definitely don't dress better than them! I'm sure you were watching. I think Bad Cop knows you could do her job and she's not rolling over.

April said...

That's just it Kris, I don't think I was dressed better than they were. Both cops looked amazing. Very professional and chic. But I think this whole thing is ridiculous. It's not like I am asking to be McCain's running mate here. It's part time for crying out loud! But thank you for your kind reassuring words. You are so good at that! Love you girl!!

for a different kind of girl said...

It really does seem like this third interview business is just a formality, doesn't it? As has been said, most businesses don't go this far in unless they plan to shake your hand and offer it to you that day.

I wish you a ton of luck and if the boots kick ass, than the boots it should be!

Kristi said...

I love the attitude that you have about this position! Absolutely wear what makes you feel the best, and I agree with what others have said about Bad Cop being envious or threatened in some way.

After working in HR for godknowshowmanyyears I've definitely interviewed my share of job candidates. It sounds to me that it is important for them to have the right person in that position, and that they are just measuring your sincerity because they can't quite believe you're real! You would NOT have a 3rd interview if they didn't think you were talented.

Thanks for your very sweet comment on my last post. Good luck w/the interview - 3rd time's a charm!

Katie @ 3 Blondes and a Redhead said...

No more writers block, eh?? :)

I can't wait to hear all about when they offer you the job!!!

Becky said...

I think you should tell them that it is not beneath you at all to do the menial tasks...in fact, it is blog fodder.

Share with them that not only are they scrutinizing you, but you are watching them (Focker) and you are going to be recording their stupidity for all of the bloggy world.

We can't wait.

The Maid

PS - I say you go in there naked...and tell them you are so confident that you would rock their world that you didn't want to outdress them. LOL

Sue said...

I have the utmost confidence in you that you will either:

A - dazzle them with your brilliance, or;

B- Baffle them with B.S.

Either way, a 3rd interview is awesome. Maybe it's taken them this long to realize that they can't live without you.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

creative-type dad said...

You should say exactly that. With that kind of energy they would be dumb to pass you by.

aschmoel said...

You will get this job I know it! Think of all the people who didn't get a 3rd interview. Getting this far had less to do with how posh your outfit was (and knowing you, you put vic beck to shame) and more to do with just you. YOU ARE KIND OF A BIG DEAL QUEEN. You know it, I know, and everyone that reads this blog knows it!

I'm guessing bad cop wants to hire you but it putting you through this extra interview to show you who is boss.

Best people I have hired were overqualified for the job!

Love ya-
Raia