Thursday, August 28, 2008

Let's Count the Awkward Moments, Ah Ah Aaahhh...

So I had my second interview today. I tossed and turned all night still trying to decide what to wear. But in the end, I rocked the professional chic look. I made the Power Suit bow down and worship me. Not to brag, but I would have made Tim Gunn weep. You know how I know? Because Mr. Toad, my four year old nephew, looked at me and said "Wow. You look so pretty." That kid is officially my favorite.
.
And the interview was, uuuummmm . . . interesting...
.
They went with the good cop/bad cop tactic. I really liked Good Cop. And she seemed to really like me too. We were talking. We were laughing. We were bonding. Good times.
.
Enter Bad Cop. Bad Cop was beautiful. And had a thick eastern European accent, like The Count on Sesame Street. But she wasn't there to help me learn to count and she certainly wasn't there to make friends. Bad Cop was uber-serious. Bad Cop scared the ess aych eye tee out of me. I wasn't sure if she was going to arrest me and confiscate my passport or lean over and start sucking the blood from my jugular. It was terrifying.
.
Good Cop kept talking to me like I had the job. She would say things like "You are going to love working here." and "This is how you will do it."
.
Bad Cop, not so much. She asked how I would handle working in a team environment and will I have any issues taking directions from someone younger than me. My response?
,
"I am going to be the new kid on the block. It has nothing to do with age and everything about experience. I am willing to learn from whomever is willing to teach me. I usually don't have any issues getting along with all different types of personalities."
.
I know, good huh? Yeah, I was pretty proud of myself too. Especially because throughout the whole interview I felt like she was trying to see how easy it would be to frustrate me. But oh hail no! I kept my smile on and didn't let her see me sweat. Until she shot back . . .
.
"You usually don't have a problem? So when do you have a problem?"
.
Seriously people?? Was she trying to make me cry?? I just laughed and said "I don't have issues getting along with people. I think one of my strong points is being able to flex my style to meet the needs of others." Confident nod. Big smile.
.
Bad Cop? Blank stare.
.
Dude, am I not totally demonstrating this behavior right now? So in my opinion, I kicked ass on maintaining my composure. But I am pretty sure Bad Cop hated me. And my amazing outfit. (Oh, trust. I put that outfit on and a choir of angels began to sing.)
.
Good Cop: So when can you start?
Me: As soon as Bad Cop gets back in her coffin and takes a long nap.
.
Okay so I didn't really say that. But Good Cop did ask when I could start and told me I should hear something from HR by Tuesday. But to be honest? I am not too sure. Good Cop gets the final decision. So thank you God, for small favors. Bad cop can suck it.
.
Okay, bad choice of words. I'm sure she is a lovely person and we are going to get along great. Unless she reads this blog. Then I'm screwed.
.

7 comments:

for a different kind of girl said...

Wow! Bad Cop's been around the block a few times on this whole interview thing if she keyed on on the fact you used 'usually' in your response! Dang!

It sounds like you did a great job, though, and definitely had stellar responses. I'll be hoping for good news coming your way on Tuesday!

Becky said...

That is so not the right job for you. If it was a witch hunt in the interview process, then what more is to come?

Bad cop is icky. That is all there is to it. I think when prospective employers try to entrap you with your own words that is very telling.

A friend of mine is going through some situations at work where she has enjoyed a good job for 2 years. Right now they are watching any and every move she makes...waiting to write her up and have grounds for dismissal. I can see bad cop in that role!

I do wish you the best and hope that you don't settle for the first job that you are offered. You need to give yourself a little more time to select something that suits you and your family's needs.
:)

Just my humble opinion. LOL

I say take that interview outfit out for a few more spins and see what happens!

Good luck honey,
Becky

Trisha said...

Is Bad Cop the one who you will be working with? If so . . .run! I think you did a great job with the interview! I also had to laugh because I have been there ,. . . in interviews with a person who was channeling Hitler!

DevilsHeaven said...

We have a lady that grills people like that here.
She's also the one who fell asleep during training. Twice. And who the new person described as "Flaky." So fear not! I'm sure you'll do fine.

Stacey said...

See. Twilight is invading your daily life. You're convinced that the bad cop was a vampire. Maybe she's VICTORIA!!!!! Maybe she's after you for killing James.

And do tell! What kind of suit was this that made angels sing? I'm dying to know.

Victoria the Bad Cop Vampire was just totally jealous of you. She's probably used to being the office beauty and now she knows that she's got competition. But you know what this means?? You have to buy a whole stash of angels are singing suits so that you can keep up the image.

April said...

Ha! Stacey you are a doll! And to think we have wasted the 18 years we have known each other as polite acquaintances. Your mom always said she wanted to adopt me. We could have been sisters!

And yes you are right! I totally have vampires on the brain. Stupid books. Now quit bugging me so I can continue reading and find out if Edward comes back to Bella.

Oh, and if you must know - Black dress pants with a bit of a wide leg, crisp white button down shirt with short sleeves and french cuffs, cropped 3/4 sleeve houndstooth swing jacket, double strand of pearls, matching houndstooth heels. It was may-jah!

Jessie said...

A. Good luck on the interview.
B. I totally want that hounsdtooth swing jacket. Jealous.
C. How are those books? I am thinking they may be next on the list.