Thursday, July 17, 2008

Rookie Mistake

So I was pumping gas today, minding my own business and jamming to the Mexican music coming from the truck parked at the pump behind me. There was a girl having a difficult time using the pump on the other side of the one I was using. I know this because I had the following conversation with her:

She: Excuse me? Do you, like, know what zip code this is?
Me: I'm sorry?
She: It's asking me for the zip code. How the hell do I know?
Me: Um... It means your zip code.
She: Really?
Me: Really.
She: Like, why does it care about my zip code?
Me: It's a security measure. To make sure you aren't using a stolen credit card.
She: Oh. That's retarded.
Me (sighing): Yeah.

What I really wanted to say: That's the pot calling the kettle black, sweetie. Have you never pumped gas before?

I did smile as I drove away. I needed a little cheering up today. I really believe God sent her to me as a gift. We all know He has a sense of humor. And I could not make this stuff up if I tried, people.

9 comments:

for a different kind of girl said...

I have come to believe that God knows, He just knows, when we need blog fodder. I'd have lifted my eyes skyward after this encounter and definitely said a little prayer of thanks!

Trisha said...

Such fun in unexpected places! You are so sweet to help her out!

DevilsHeaven said...

OMG, I remember the first time I encounter one of those pumps, and I'd just moved in with F and put that zip in, except, I hadn't changed my credit card address over, so it wouldn't accept that zip and I was a little freaked about zips, but I figured it out on my own. I wasn't blog fodder THAT day! HA-HA!

Bogart in P Towne said...

Oh the joys of people.

Manager Mom said...

There is no shortage of idiots in the world...that's for sure...

Coffee Bean said...

I've never had to enter my zip at the pump??? Huh... I'll have to ask my husband if he did when we went cross country in June. We did, however, run into many gas stations that cut you off at $75. My husband would just run the card twice so we could fill up... but what a pain! And in Wyoming there is hundreds of miles between gas stations and almost didn't make it one time between stations. Very stressful!

Kristi said...

This really made me laugh! I grew up in the only state in our country where it is still illegal to pump your own gas! So, of course, the first dozen times I tried to do it in another state I looked like a complete moron!

OK, but not as bad as the girl you were so kind to help. She's probably also the person who would ask someone "which way?" on a One Way street. Good times.

Sue said...

Sometimes you've just got to wonder how people even GOT their liscense, don't you?

Roland Hulme said...

Living in europe, I pumped my own petrol for 12 years. Six months in New Jersey (where they don't trust you enough to let you do it, so a guy does it for you) I'd lost the ability.

I drove to Pa. and was utterly incapable of filling my gas tank without assistance.

And WHAT IS IT with the zip code thing. And stores asking for your telephone number? It's intrusive and annoying!