Tuesday, July 22, 2008

My My, How Can I Resist You?

My sister in law, She She, and I went to see the movie Mamma Mia last night.

Now please keep in mind, I love me a good musical. I thoroughly believe this world would be a better place if we all broke out in song and choreographed dance moves at least once a day. Think about how much more fun it would be to go to the grocery store or the bank or the post office if you knew there was a possibility people were going to bust out singing and dancing and round-off back-hand-springing across the tiles. And this movie was cute. It was fun, had some humorous moments and a good story. And who doesn't love Meryl Streep? And Colin Firth (sigh) is so dreamy.

Ahem. However... There were moments during the movie when I was uncomfortable. And when I say uncomfortable, I mean embarrassed. Mortified. For the actors. This movie was so over the top and uber-cheesy I actually felt my face turning red several times. And I am the type of person who is almost impossible to embarrass. I was so distracted wondering how the producers got these actors to agree to do this movie. To sing and dance and jump around shirtless in a fountain. I know it sounds hot, but it was sooooo not. I mean I like making money too, but there are limits to what I will do in order to receive a paycheck people. Are you following me here? Have you ever felt embarrassed for the actors in a movie? No??

Okay, let's imagine you are channel surfing on a Saturday afternoon, and you come across Grease 2. And don't even sit there and try to tell me you would not watch it if you saw it playing on TBS. Because you are a liar. I know it, you know it, and everyone here knows it.

So it's the bowling alley scene and everybody's bopping around singing in chorus about how they're gonna score-ore-ore tonight. And you are like, okay, this is kind of fun, I totally wish I could pirouette and bowl a strike at the same time.

And then the scene changes and everyone's in the parking lot watching Michael/Cool Rider jump a police car on his motorcycle and they all start singing ooooh ooooh who's that guy? You start feeling the heat in your cheeks a little. You might actually roll your eyes and chuckle. But then, at the end, and if I am spoiling it for anyone - really I am doing you a favor, it's the talent show scene and Michelle Pfeiffer is in shock or whatever because she thinks Cool Rider is dead. She kind of forgets that she's supposed to be singing about winter and acting like a Christmas tree and she starts imagining she's in biker heaven with Cool Rider. They are singing to each other about the love they lost and how - in this world - can she make it on her own? Then he's standing at the top of that tire mountain, stretches his hand out to her and says in his sexiest dead biker guy voice - "Stephanie, never forget me!"

You know how you feel at that moment?? When you are DYING you are so embarrassed and you're practically hiding under a blanket or your coffee table and praying to GOD ALMIGHTY no one is going to walk in and actually witness you watching that crap??

That is how I felt watching Mamma Mia. I was Grease 2 embarrassed. My face is red and I am curling my toes after just typing all that. And yet, every time I see it's on I'm all excited "Awesome! Grease 2, man!"

Would I see Mamma Mia again? Only if it was on cable and there was no paper trail or proof that I was watching it again. I think I was more embarrassed watching that than I was watching Sex and The City - with my mother in law. So what does that tell you? I would rather be sitting next to my mother in law watching people get it on than go through the agony of Pierce Brosnan's attempts at singing.

Oh mamma mia indeed.

12 comments:

kristen s said...

I haven't seen Mama Mia yet (and knowing my life, won't until it's out on DVD since it's not a cartoon) but I totally know what you mean, and Grease 2 is the perfect example! I especially feel bad for all the actors who never amounted to much. I'm not embarassed at all to tell you, however, that I can belt Cool Rider and Who's That Guy like nobody's business.

Great. Now I've got all the songs from that movie running through my head. Thanks a bunch.

Let's bowl, let's bowl, let's - Rock and Roll...

Kristi said...

brava, brava....enthusiastic two thumbs up for your description of the gut-wrenching embarrassment that is that freakin' scene in G2!!!!


aaaaand....even after all that, I still want to see it. What can I say? I'm a glutton for punishment (as is clearly evidenced in my daily life).

Kristi said...

I mean, I still want to see Mamma Mia - OH OKAY AND ALSO G2!

for a different kind of girl said...

I'll probably wait until Mamma Mia is out on DVD so I don't feel bad about dropping the money on it, for it does look exactly as you described it, with the absolute perfect example!!

Ok, but here's embarrassing. My friends and I used to act out Grease 2 on my patio when we were growing up! Since it was MY patio, I insisted on always being Stephanie. I can still act out the routine to "Cool Rider" (and that Xmas pageant scene...). Yeah. Embarrassing. But sorta cool!

creative-type dad said...

I never saw Grease 2, but now you've made me curious...

DevilsHeaven said...

I had all those thoughts about how cheesy it would be just from the promos. I'm glad I wasn't wrong.
I think not being 007 has really killed Pierce's sense of "good".

Trisha said...

I saw Mamma Mia - the musical and found it a bit cheesy so I can only imagine the movie version. I saw some previews and thought - oh my gosh! They are making these people sing????? I didn't know about the fountain scene - it wasn't in the musical. I think that is just over the top.

Oh - I have never seen Grease 2. I know, I know - I am sooooo out of it!

Jessie said...

Oh, I feel the embarrasment. I actually started to get that pity feeling in my stomach while reading this. I mean, poor Michelle Pfiffer (or however you spell it). Does she look back on that role as one of her worst? Or does the "Cat Woman" role take the cake? And now that I think about it, Michelle doesn't have all that many great movies under her belt. Hmmmm...

Personally, I'll see ANYTHING with the Colin Firth in it. Hello? British accent? Oh, I'm there. And he's been in plenty of movies that must have been embarrassing. Remember that scene from "What A Girl Wants" where he's dancing in front of the full-length mirror in his old leather pants? That must have been horrendous. I was embarrassed watching that one... But alas, the Colin in leather pants...not embarrassed anymore...

chandy said...

I probably shouldn't even mention what my favorite movie/musical is, or you will rethink hanging out with me in real life! But The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas just delivers solid entertainment...(Is it wrong for a Christian to like a movie about a whorehouse?)

Becky said...

I would dance and sing in almost any situation for money.

Hello, as long as I could remain fully clothed. Naked maids aren't good for anyone.

The Maid

PS - And you went to see SATC again? That is embarrassing sister...were you just going for one more peek?

Trisha said...

Stop by - I have something for you!

Coffee Bean said...

Oh April. I went to see this yesterday with my mil and girls. Mil is visiting from Ohio this week. I cannot even post about this on my blog... because mil reads it. Where should I start???

Okay, mil is...ummmmm... a tad excentric... marches to the beat of her own drum... I was raised by a very proper mother and whereas my thoughts are not always proper... I'm pretty proper in my appearance and in what I say out loud. My mil is 5 ft. tall and chunky (not as chunky as me though)has a unique sense of fashion that includes tons of real jewelry (meaning expensive), men's boxers from REI that she wears as shorts, and tank tops with no bra.

So, us girls all go to the movie. Oh, I forgot to tell you my mil talks super LOUD. So, we are sitting there and it'a all good til the movie starts. I, like you, am soon mortified and wondering how they got those actors to agree to this movie. I will never be able to look at Pierce Brosnan again without invisioning him singing.

Guess what?!?!? My mil was singing along. Yeah. Let that one sing in. And... uh... not exactly on key either. When the movie ended she wanted to stay until the last credit rolled... after clapping and cheering loudly at the end of the movie which she also loudly proclaimed was "Brilliant!" My traitorous girls ran off and I was stuck there sitting with her (she has trouble walking so I couldn't ditch her) while she squealed with delight and sang her way through the credits. I stared straight ahead so I didn't have to make eye contact with anyone. We were the last ones in the theatre.

AND... I. Can't. Even. Blog. About. It.