Friday, July 11, 2008

Let's Face It


So I joined Facebook.

I know, I know! Every time someone would ask me if I was on My Space or Facebook I would throw my nose in the air and say "No, I'm 36." I thought those sites were like high school all over again. I was so above all that. Too cool for social networking on line. Totally immune to peer pressure.

Then I found out my girl Dee was on it. Dee, who is just like me - a grown up and above all that nonsense. And then at Bunco Monday night I discovered I was one of the only Bunco Babes not on it. Well I can't have that. I can't be left out. So I caved. I gave in to peer pressure. And now I am on Facebook. And it's not what I expected at all. It's really fun and totally not like high school.

But, is it dorky of me to admit I am totally overwhelmed? People are sending me flair. Flair!! (I don't really like talking about my flair.) There are Flair Points. You get points for sending Flair. So what do you do with your Flair Points? Is it like at Peter Piper Pizza where you cash them in on a whoopee cushion and some pixie sticks?
.
You can add a sandbox to your page and fill it full of stuff you like. I have no idea what that means, but I filled mine with glitter, a magic wand, a tiara, a Birkin, and a picture of my pretend celebrity boyfriend. It's kind of like decorating your locker. You would think you would have to spend your Flair points to get stuff for your sandbox. Yeah, someone really should have consulted me before they set this up. My ideas rock.

You can also send and receive gifts (do you need points for this??), buy a round of drinks (or this?), send and receive cupcakes (or this???), talk about your favorite movies and books, and take quizzes. It's crazytown, people! I'm telling you all this and you probably know it. I am convinced I am the last person who was not on it. Uberman and I both. So I sent him an invitation to join. And then I had to beg him to be my friend. Do you believe that garbage? I had to beg my own husband to be my Facebook friend. We'll see who's begging now, buddy.

So give me some advice here, all you Facebook aficionados. Is there Facebook etiquette? Is there protocol? Are there rules?

Can I give myself flair or do I only get flair as gifts? What is this poking thing about? I am not sure if I am okay with that. What if you ask someone to be your friend and they don't want to? Is it okay to talk smack? For example, if someone challenges you to a game of Word Challenge and you KICK THEIR ASS, is it okay to gloat? Or if they challenge you to a game of Tetris, do you let them win so they don't hate you for beating them at Word Challenge? Yeah, E. I am talking to you! BRING IT ON BABY. I don't think you can handle a piece of this. Next thing you know, you're gonna be challenging me to a celebrity trivia match. Where you will go down in flames. Believe that.

Okay, so what was I saying? Oh yeah. It's totally not like high school. Nope. Not at all.

16 comments:

Manager Mom said...

I've been on facebook for a YEAR and I still don't get the "poking" thing.

But the high school feeling, totally.

Katie said...

I don't get ANY of that stuff. I'm not a FB junkie, but have friends who are and I don't get it either. People invite me to stuff that I don't get. And poking? Don't get that either.

I'm on FB almost every day though to play Scrabbulous. Totally addicted. I'll invite you to a game...

I hope other people answer your questions about this stuff so I can learn. Plus, it's fun to get to IM/chat with you now!

B Wiens said...

I am 47 and joined facebook because my girls live faraway and this is ideal to keep in touch with them. Uploading pic´s is easy and so interesting because you get to see yours friends pic´s too and it´s so great to keep up to date with everyone who is on your friends list. You will be hooked in no time!

Sandra D said...

I love Facebook!! Nothing like a game of Parking Wars with your friends:) Or a round of Word Twist between my husband and I. (he usually beats me so you better bet that when I actually beat him, I GLOAT LIKE CRAZY!!)

Trisha said...

I just joined facebook a couple of weeks ago and I am still not up to speed on the whole thing. Just what I need - something else on the computer that is addicting!

for a different kind of girl said...

I caved a few months ago, and then after I confessed my "I'll NEVER get on Facebook" disgression to my husband and he was all "Ha ha! Caver!" I was on a friend's page AND SAW MY HUSBAND WAS ONE OF HIS FRIENDS!!"

SO I, naturally, made him (I had to MAKE HIM!) be m friend, too, just so I could give him grief for joining after I did.

Sorry for all the uppercase. I guess that makes me the super hyper student council girl from high school, huh?

I don't get poked, though. Super hyper student council girls don't get poked!

bloggingbarbie said...

i love the new layout.

and i think we need to be facebook friends.

kthxbai. xo.

Kristi said...

I am diligently watching these comments for the final straw that will push me over the edge into FB. With all the other shit that goes on in my life, I'm lucky to even get out the rare blog post! If I start w/the FB I'll never speak to my family again!

Let us know how it's going!

Bogart in P Towne said...

Not on facebook. I am way too important for such things. I mean c'mon...I have a blog and stuff.

Coffee Bean said...

Got something for you on my blog!

Brenda said...

Facebook rocks. Especially when your 14 yr. old and his friends add you to their friends list. I love seeing all the scoop. Since I have worked with HS students I am privy to almost too much information. This I do think will come in handy as my oldest navigates through these teen years.
About the FB extras. I add a game or two but none of that other funny stuff. I think it clogs my computer and slows it down.
Honestly, a girl like you needs no extra flair or superpokes, am i right?xoxo

Chris H said...

April, not sure about the time there ... but here right now it's 4.45 in the afternoon (Tuesday) so I reckon it is tuesday morning where you are? I know that in Washington they are about 17 hours behind us....

Becky said...

Two awards in one day...for both of us. We must rock...or we have the same lame blogging friends...and they figured they would hurt our feelings if they didn't dole out props to both of us.

I'll choose the former.

The maid

Sorry you had a sucky day...I don't get the point of twittering, but you can email me if you want to talk about it.

:) LOL

kristen s said...

"I don't really like talking about my flair"... Ha! Office Space is one of the greatest movies ever.

Sounds like yesterday, someone had a case of the "Mondays". Hope today is better!

Roland Hulme said...

We should totally be facebook friends...

Thanks for the kind words on my blog. Martin and Mum are doing great. And you liked the pram? Would you believe it only cost us $10 from a yard sale?

WILLIAM said...

How do i find you on facebook? shoot me an email.