Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Girlfriends

.
A few posts ago I was serious. Today, I am mushy. So if you aren't in a feel good, sentimental mood, you may want to skip this post. Or you can read it with your finger down your throat. Either way. Whatever.
.
I have been in a serious funk lately. And I think I am allowed, don't you? But one can only stew in the funk for so long. There comes a time when you need pick yourself up by the bra straps and move on. And sometimes you need a friend to tell you when that time has come.
.
Today a group of my girls convinced me to get out of my jammies, away from the Project Runway Marathon (don't panic, totally TiVo'd it), and spend the morning with them watching our kids swim, laughing and talking about everything from my next blog topic (one suggestion is the on going outbreak of men displaying their butt cracks in public) to schools to breast feeding to various forms of birth control (which also called for a brief anatomy lesson).
.
We made a big salad for lunch, everyone bringing something to contribute to it. And just like the salad, each of these girls contribute something different to my life. I am so thankful for my Girlfriends. I am very fortunate to have a lot of them. And believe me, I am not bragging. I am an in awe at the fact that most of these women are still speaking to me after all these years. I need each and every one of them, for different reasons.
.
Have I sunk to a new low comparing my friendships to a salad? But really, think about it. Some of you are the lettuce - the foundation. Some of you are the chicken - the protein that fills me. Some of you are the extra salty - the nuts (ha!). Some of you are the sweet. Some of you are the spicy and flavorful dressing. Some of you are the bright vivacious color that make the salad pretty. Some of you are that little extra, like the stinky cheese. And don't be offended, that is my favorite part of the salad. I hope I am someone's stinky cheese.
.
I watched our daughters sit in a circle today and share various foods from their lunch boxes- chips, grapes, cheetos, teddy grahams. It was the three and four year old's version of a salad. I hope I am someone's teddy graham.
.
Regardless of how often I talk to you or see you, if you are my friend, I need you. You are in my life for a reason. And I am so thankful for you. Regardless of how fulfilled your life is, how strong your marriage is, how amazing your kids are, sometimes it's your girlfriends who get you through the day. Who give you the strength to face the next day. Who help you laugh and cry and decide which birth control is best for you. Who can forgive you for forgetting the stinky cheese and say the salad is good anyway. Who let you eat the last cheeto or teddy graham.
.
Thank you to my girls - Dee and Raia, She She, Marci, Erin, Kim A, Brooke, Bex, Kristen S, Lisa TJ, Flint, Jess, Katiekins, Kim F, Diane, Amy A, Wendy, Jenna, Jerolyn, Jovina, Serena, Robin, Nicole, Mary O, Auntie B, Kristin H, Karen, and Tricia. Where would I be without you?
.
.
.

10 comments:

for a different kind of girl said...

This is great! Girlfriends are so fantastic, and always seem to know just when we need them, like some kind of super power! You're very lucky and blessed to have so many in your corner.

Becky said...

Awwww, if I am the Bex you are referring to, well thank you missy.

One question, do I have to be the stinky cheese? You know how I hate cheese.

Oh...and thanks for inviting me to the outing. Jerk.

The Maid

PS - Just because I have a kajillion kids, doesn't mean that I can't look cute and hang out with you more civilized 2.3 children kind of girls....dude, don't you know that I can always leave some at home?

PBBBTHHHH. (That was my raspberry...hope I got some spit on ya!)

Wink.

Caitlin said...

hear, hear, sister! It's just so true. Girlfriends are the chapstick on the chapped lips of life: You could do without it, but why would you want to? It makes life so much sweeter.

Katie @ 3 Blondes and a Redhead said...

Ooh, ooh, can I be the bright and colorful stuff that makes the salad look pretty? A red pepper, maybe? I'm recently in love with red peppers...

I love you, too, April. I'm glad some gals pulled you from your PJs and made you sit in the sun. It's so therapeutic!!!

Bogart in P Towne said...

Nice post...always good to remember who your friends are and how important they are...

DevilsHeaven said...

Salad anology? I think I'd make mine a Margarita anology. Someone would be the glass that contains us all, someone would be the salt on the rim, someone would be the ice, and let's not forget the most important, quality rum and quality mix. Yes, make me a margarita!!!!

kristen s said...

April, you are my stinky cheese.

Hugs,
Kristen

Sue said...

Another great post April! SO very true too. I'm now getting to the point where my 21 yr. old daughter is one of my best girlfriends, and that's pretty awesome too....my 14 yr. old daughter....not so much quite yet...

Coffee Bean said...

Oh! What a sweet post! That is an impressive list of girlfriends!

Kristin said...

April... you rock! This is such a great read! You are my croutons, which I can never quite seem to get enough of... and once I get a little taste, it always makes me want some more. You bring a lot to the table, my Friend! xo