Friday, June 13, 2008

Close My Eyes I Am Rhythm


Just a note - This looks like a long post. But it ends with a list and you can skip it if you want. Whatever. I mean you can get through it quickly. But do what you want. Okay? Just read it. I mean jeez. I've read a lot of your dumb lists. Humor me here, okay?? Or you can skip it. I don't really care. Please read it. Yeah? Okay.

I had my iPod sitting on my desk at work recently. A co-worker picked it up and to my horror, started paging through my playlist. And let me just tell you this, I've been more comfortable during gynecological exams than I was at that moment. I exhaled slowly, closed my eyes and waited for the inevitable.

He: Michael Buble?
Me (sigh): Yeah.
He: You borrow that from your mom?
Me: No! (Yes.)
He: Cheap Trick? Seriously?
Me: Yes. It's a peppy song.
He: Justin Timberlake? What are you, seventeen?
Me: Hey, he brought sexy back.
He: Did sexy go somewhere?
Me: Shut up.

Why is it that we have to explain our music choices to people? I too am guilty of this type of harassment. Just a few months ago I asked Bogart if I could see his man card after he professed his love for Josh Groban's You Raise Me Up. And for that, I offer him my sincerest apologies. Because as you can see, Karma is a vindictive hag and put me in a position where I doubted all the songs I love.

My friend Raia and I had this discussion a few months ago when she had the same issue, a co-worker invading her MP3 privacy. And just like she did, I felt so exposed as this guy thoughtlessly examined my songs and questioned my choices. I think I'd rather have him peeking in my underwear drawer.

Why is music so personal for some of us? And yet there are some of you who can confidently put your lists out there for the world to see. Why did I feel a sense of shame over Cheap Trick and JT? Why do I feel the need to hide my affection for Michael Buble?

Well I'm not gonna do it anymore. You hear that world? I love Michael Buble! I walk around singing Feeling Good and A Foggy Day in London Town. I get teary eyed during A Song for You and I imagine slow dancing with Uberman to You and I. And Christmas is not the same if I can't hear him sing Let It Snow while it's seventy degrees outside and I'm decorating my tree. Okay? I love him! And if that makes me uncool, oh well. If loving him is wrong than I don't wanna be right.

Uberman loves to tease me about my taste, or lack thereof, in music. I think it stems from my Duranny days. And for those of you who don't know, that means I was obsessed with Duran Duran. Dude, it was 22 years ago, I can't change the past. And John Taylor was hot, I don't care if he did have bigger hair and wore more makeup than I did. But you know what? Uberman has no room to talk. His music is nothing but a bunch of angry guys screaming. I can't even understand what they are screaming about, but I am pretty sure it is somewhere along the lines of "I am so angry! Yeah Yeah! I need therapy! Yeah Yeah!" I guess if my last name was Zombie I'd be pretty ticked off, too.

But yes, my musical taste is eclectic. I was raised on old school country, George Jones, Johnny Cash, Tammy Wynette and Patsy Cline. I watched Hee Haw in my overalls and blue cowboy boots. And there's not many oldies I don't know the words to. Elvis, Buddy Holly, Brenda Lee and the Beatles. Of course I grew up in the seventies and eighties. I remember trying to do the Hustle in my mom's platform heels when I was seven or eight. I could shake it to all the songs of Saturday Night Fever. Duran Duran came later, along with Howard Jones, Tears for Fears and the Thompson Twins. Awesome.

And you know what, since we are confessing, I think I'll just announce that I love Air Supply. Yeah, I do. I'm never gonna let them go and I'm gonna hold them in my arms forever. And Journey. Who doesn't love Steve Perry belting out Separate Ways? And guess what else? I prefer Sammy Hagar Van Halen to David Lee Roth Van Halen. Gasp! Oh yeah man, I'm a rebel.

So I'm just gonna put it out there. I'm opening the underwear drawer for the world to see. Well, you know what I mean. And in the immortal words of Bogart the Magnificent, these aren't necessarily the greatest songs ever recorded. They're not even necessarily my all time favorites. This is just what's on my iPod right now. These are the songs getting me through traffic, helping me decompress after a hectic day, putting a pep in my step and a smile on my face. This is a sampling of what I am listening to now. And just so you know, I have babies in the car so these are all the clean versions. Don't judge me.

Rise Above This - Seether - I love this song. The lead singer's raw voice and the catchy tune. It's a great first thing in the morning song.

Never Too Late - Three Days Grace

Whatever It Takes - Lifehouse

We Belong Together - Gavin DeGraw - This song makes me melt. It's long, but beautiful.

Pork and Beans - Weezer - Come on, how many songs are out there with the words Pork and Beans in them? These guys are pure genius!

Nothing Lasts Forever - Maroon 5 - Adam Levine rocks my socks. 'Nuff said.

It's Not My Time - 3 Doors Down - Some guys on the radio were talking about the lead singer and how he's about 8 different kinds of ugly. But because he's in a successful band, women still say "Oh, but he has really pretty eyes." Yeah. And an awesome voice.

What Hurts the Most - Rascal Flatts - Boo loves this song. She said "Mommy, this song is sad. It's about when you miss someone." She's four and she's awesome.

Sorry - Buck Cherry - Yeah, he should be sorry. After calling her a crazy bi**h and revealing too much about their intimate, ahem, habits. But the words are so sincere and lovely I want to yell "Just forgive him already!"

Won't Go Home Without You - Maroon 5 - Again, Adam. Sigh.

Fake It - Seether - Who does not love an angry bitter song once in a while? This song gets my blood pumping in the morning.

Believe - The Bravery - Reminiscent of my boys in Duran2. Love it.

Best I Ever Had (Grey Sky Morning) - Vertical Horizon - This song is so haunting. Great driving home in traffic surrounded by stupid people song.

Take A Bow - Rhianna - You tell him girl. Get off her lawn. Liar.

Say (All I Need) - OneRepublic - Mellow. Love these guys.

Everything - Michael Buble - That Emily Blunt is one lucky chick. He can't believe that he's her man and he gets to kiss her baby just because he can.

Little Wonders - Rob Thomas - If you don't see how sweet and beautiful this song is, there's something wrong with you.

SOS - Rhianna - If this song doesn't make you want to dance, there's something wrong with you.

Psycho - Puddle of Mudd - Again, another great raw song. It's not you, it's me. Maybe I'm the schizophrenic psycho. But probably not.

She Talks to Angels - The Black Crowes - Yeah Chris Robinson is a little weird and things didn't work out with him and Kate and one of them needs to step up and cut that kid's hair, but this song is just plain, old fashioned lovely.

If I Ain't Got You - Alicia Keys - This girl has some pipes. I'm not a huge fan of all her stuff, but the lyrics in this song speak to me. Can't explain it. Just love it.

She Sells Sanctuary - The Cult - This is a great fresh out of the driveway start the day song. And it reminds me of the great British gangster movie Layer Cake. If you haven't seen it, rent it.

I'll Be - Edwin McCain - Okay, this one is one of my all time favorite songs. Ever.

Another One Bites The Dust - Queen - Come on, who doesn't remember roller skating to this one? Disco ball turning above you, silver squares reflecting all over the skating rink, big Goody comb in your back pocket, wind blowing through your Farrah Fawcett hair. Yeah man. Far out.

Perfect Situation - Weezer - This song kept me calm as we circled JFK airport for two hours coming back from London two years ago. On the 5th anniversary of 9/11. Of all days to be traveling when you really, really hate to fly. I just kept it on repeat. Until the battery in my iPod died. Awesome.

Like a Stone - Audioslave - Yeah this song's a little stalkerish and creepy. But how cool would it be to have Chris Cornell for a stalker??

Feeling Good - Michael Buble - Love it! And I'm feeling good just thinking about the big band in this song. Makes me want to choreograph a dance where I am wearing a fedora and carrying a cane. And then I do that cool move where I stand on a folding chair and push it over without falling. And then I kick my legs and throw the hat and catch it with the cane and kick my legs again and pirouette and arch my back and . . . Oh sorry, I kind of forgot you were there...

SexyBack - Justin Timberlake - Another song where I let my Solid Gold Dancer inside free.

Outside - Staind - I love the pain and anguish in this song. I too have been on the outside looking in. It hurts man.

Don't Bring Me Down - Electric Light Orchestra - I dare you to listen to this and not bob your head to the beat. You can't do it. Oooh woo hoo.

When Your Heart Stops Beating - +44 - It's got a good beat and you can't dance to it. That's it.

The Adventure - Angels & Airwaves - Although I took sides with Mark and Travis in the Blink182 breakup, I still love Tom Delonge's whiny voice. And I think it's funny that he follows their new band in my play list. I wonder if they start arguing in there when I'm not listening...

I Want You to Want Me - Cheap Trick - Oh I do want you. You shouldn't have to feel all alone without a friend and feel like dying. No, you didn't see me crying.

I Am the Highway - Audioslave - Again, Chris. Love him. Love the lyrics to this one. He's not my rolling wheels. He is the highway. He's not my carpet ride. He is the sky. Profound.

Solsbury Hill - Peter Gabriel - Love this guy. Except Shock the Monkey. That one just scared me.

Big Girls Don't Cry - Fergie - Another one of Boo's favorites. I know this one got played to death on the radio, but I still love it. Fergie has a really beautiful voice. I don't know why she doesn't sing for real instead of all that rap, white girl from the hood stuff she does. I just don't get it. She was on Kids Incorporated, not Soul Train. Let's keep it real Stacie. Mmmkay?

So there you go. These are some of the songs that make my days brighter. In the words of her Majesty, Madonna - Music. Makes the big world. Come together.

So true, girl. So true.

14 comments:

Kristi said...

K, this is the first time I've read your blog and I have no words. No Words! That is one bitchin playlist and I'm so down with ELO and Cheap Trick! Thanks!

ginger said...

um, hello... I'll Be by Edwin McCain IS one of the best songs ever recorded.

u like rihanna, maroon 5, and one republic. youre like the coolest mom on the block.

Caitlin said...

I LOVE how eclectic your playlist is. My tastes in music are pretty broad, and I love seeing what random stuff other people listen to.
That Rob Thomas song makes me want to curl up and cry, it's so sweet and perfect.

Boo sounds like an amazing little kid! You should write those things down so you can be reminded of them again in 30 years. You know, when you'll look at the list, and go 'She liked Fergie? Who the hell is Fergie?'

BTW, thank you for your sweet comment and all your cheering and good vibes. It means a lot!

Jessie said...

You do have an eclectic play list. I really like it and will probably find some of those songs for mine. Thanks for the recommendations. And I pretty much love every song on that list. Huge Rob Thomas fan over here. LOVE HIM!

But, Edwin McCain? Oh man. You can listen to that every day?

Also, Big Girls Don't Cry is a beautiful song, except for the line, "I'm not going to miss you like a child misses her blanket." DUMB. I can't believe that's what she came up with to compare her anguish, or lack thereof. But, pretty voice.

Becky said...

I think I saw you at the Roller Rink...I was the one in the pink Izod with the collar flipped up, wearing the stiff 501 jeans. You may not have noticed me though, because I spent most of the night on my "goody comb" (Had to be the one with the handle) since I stunk at skating.

Either that, or I was in the arcade making out. Don't tell my kids.

The Maid

PS - And my music taste gives my husband nightmares, so I am sworn to secrecy.

Katie said...

BOGART! I love Josh Groban and especially that song. I feel you, man.

You think you're lame? I don't even know half the songs on your list. But you'd better believe I'm going to listen to them all next time I have an hour on the computer! :) I'm sure I'll recognize them...I hope I'll recognize them...man, I'm a boring, lame music geek.

chandy said...

Your playlist is way more hip than mine! I've always thought it would be interesting to trade ipods with someone for the day, you'd learn a lot about them.

I blogged about the tunes on my ipod awhile ago, and looking at the list I'd have to guess that Neil Diamond is one of the "newer" artists on there ("greatest entertainer of this or any generation".)

kristen s said...

Oh man, I TOTALLY agree that Sammy Hagar was the best Van Halen lead singer! David Lee Who??? One of my favorite songs of all time is Dreams. At my wedding reception, when the DJ announced us as Mr. and Mrs. "Gooberman", they played this song. I sooo wanted to break out my air guitar and get down, but I was afraid my shiny new husband might ask for an annulment right then and there, so I stifled my impulse.

To this day, I still risk permanently damaging my children's hearing when it comes on the radio. I MUST listen to it really loud. Oh, and BTW, I think your play list rocks!

Coffee Bean said...

What the heck?!?!? Simon Le Bon was my fav...

Hey... I'll tell you a secret only my husband knows... I loved Meatloaf. I saw a commercial recently for a cell phone that he's in with his son and about fell off the couch. I'd forgotten about him. His songs were like mini rock operas or something.

Okay... I'm leaving now.

Oh... and where the heck is Daughtry on your list? Do you not know how awesome he is?

for a different kind of girl said...

OK, seriously, we pretty much have the same iPod. I have admitted more than once on my blog that I have danced, lip synched and done other things to Mmmbop. And on the way to pick up my son from camp today, I rocked it to My Humps. So shame? Yeah, I got none. Call the Dream Police, let me run into Open Arms. I don't care! I'll do it!

DutchMac said...

I seriously think we could be joint winners of the Crappiest Taste in Music award. Air Supply? Bring it on! I too was 'All Out of Love' until I met my darling husband, who I knew was my soulmate when he revealed his Air Supply-fan status by announcing 'I Can Wait Forever'.

To make matters worse, I'll even admit a handful of Enya, African tribal music, and a capella Gregorian monk chant stuff in my collection. I find they round off my ABBA and Mamas & Papas quite nicely.

mamacrow said...

have to come out of lurking to declare myself a fellow duranduranity. Acutally saw them live a few years back when they reformed - AMAZING!
John Taylor was OF COURSE my fave too. NO contest!

Angela Hart said...

I just ran across your blog and can tell already we'd be fast friends. great list. no shame. on any given day you can catch me listening to billy joel or outkast...and sometimes they're in the same "imix."

thanks for sharing!

ed said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.