Sunday, May 25, 2008

The Queen Reviews a Movie


You know in the movie High Fidelity where Rob makes a list of his top 5 dream jobs? I have totally done that. Mine is not nearly as specific as his, with dates detailing when that job would have been the most fun, inspiring or lucrative, but I have still actually sat, put pen to paper or fingers to keyboard and made that list. Most of the jobs on my list are some type of journalist. And somewhere at the top of the list is Movie Critic. The bottom of the list - event planner. I can throw one kick ass par-tay, let me tell you what.
*
I seriously can't think of a better job than getting paid to watch movies and then present your opinion about what you just saw. And I really don't think we have enough normal people in this field. A lot of movie critics are so busy looking for the symbolism, the underlying poignant meaning, the moral, the superiority of the cinematography, and all that other crap that some of us really don't care about. Why do we go to the movies? We go for entertainment, right? Are we going so some writer, director and group of actors can teach us how to be better human beings? I think not. We go to laugh, to escape and to be entertained. In my opinion, if the film makes us think twice about a certain issue, or see something from a different perspective, that's just gravy.
*
This afternoon Uberman and I went to see the new Indiana Jones movie. Was it a good movie? Uh, it was okay. Yep, just okay. I liked it. I am glad I saw it. I thought it was worth $18 and a few hours of a hot date with my husband. But it wasn't as good as the Indy's of yore. I laughed a few times, I was creeped out a few times, and being codependent, I worried a lot that Indy was going to fall and break a hip. He's still as handsome as ever, but he's moving a little slower and he's looking a little, well, old. I never really had a moment in the movie where I was white knuckling the arm rest going "Oh, is he going to make it out of this one?" It was a little campy, predictable, and a whole lot unrealistic. But, it was entertaining.
*
Did I leave the theater a little disappointed? Yeah, maybe a little. But I went to be entertained, and I was entertained. Uberman will probably go see it again with the boys. It had a little bit of violence, but nothing they haven't seen before in other movies. And there were a few times when Shia let some choice words fly, but I'm pretty sure they hear worse from kids at school. So in my scale of Go See It, Rent It, or Skip It, I say Go See It.
*
And let me just tell you this. If I were a 16 year old girl again, I would totally have Shia's face plastered all over my locker. Does that make me a pervert?
*

8 comments:

Becky said...

I hated the movie. I felt like it totally ruined the series by bringing in the sci-fi stuff.

Oh yeah, and a whole lot unbelievable is right. And what about the Russian nemesis and her horrible hair cut and even worse accent. Are you kidding me? I could have spoken that part better...but not looked so good in the lame-o jumpsuit.

So...was I entertained? Yep. Did I feel let down - a whole lot!

Do I think Shia was cute? There is something about him that I can't stand, don't know what it is...but I realize a lot of thirty somethings have a boy crush on him.

Nope...you are not a pervert, but what about crushing on someone a little more dashing?

If you get a gig as a movie critic, don't forget your blog friend over here...I will so co-write those with you for free flicks and popcorn. Got it?

We could be like Siskell and Ebert...I'll be the good looking one. (Oh, there wasn't one. LOL)

The Maid

chandy said...

I haven't had a chance to see the movie yet, but I'm sure we'll see it soon...maybe tomorrow night.

But I don't really think Shia is all that good looking. Not as cute as my inappropriate teenage crush anyway.
(Rupert Grint...just dreamy)

April said...

Becky - Oh believe me Girl. I have several dashing crushes. I wouldn't even say Shia is on my list, maybe an alternate.

Chandy - There's something about Shia that is attractive in a non-traditional sense. I don't know if it's how he's confidently insecure or his sense of humor, but he's yummy. And although Rupert doesn't do a thing for me I can see what you mean. There's something about the quirky that appeals to me. I think David Letterman is sexy, so there you go.

Becky said...

EEEEWWWWW...Letterman?
C'mon April. You need to disclose your whole list of hotties, cuz I am thinking you need a little therapy.

The Maid

April said...

Bex - That's a post for a different day. It's not that simple, I have to break it down in categories. There's "the list," the alternates, the ones who are just fun to look at, and the classics. It's a very complicated system.

And yeah, Letterman. He's funny. I think that is the most attractive thing in a man. If you think about it I am sure you have a Letterman somewhere too. :)

Katie said...

A sense of humor is great in a guy, but the most attractive quality to me is by far: confidence. Nothing is sexier than a confident guy. Not cocky, obviously...but confident.

I don't think I'll see the movie. They never really did anything for me, but then again, I was pretty young in the 80s... :)

chandy said...

Rupert quirky? No way...he's just plain sexy. I tell you, if I was a young witch at Hogwarts, I'd totally be sharing his cauldron in potions class, if you know what I mean. (Am I actually having this conversation? I'm such a dork)

Coffee Bean said...

Oh my gosh... you are so a perv. LOL!!!