Wednesday, May 21, 2008

I Still Do


Fourteen years ago today I was a blushing bride.
*
I was anxious and excited. All glammed up in a beautiful white dress. Showing a little cleavage for the first time ever, which I proudly pointed out to my soon-to-be-father-in-law. I had a smaller waist and a fresher face. And a handsome groom waiting for me at the end of the aisle. As we walked toward him, my dad chuckled and kept telling me to slow down.
*
We were so young. We had no idea what the future held for us, but we knew we would face it together.
*
We've had fourteen years of laughter, and sometimes tears. We have won and lost. We've bought and sold. We have apologized and forgiven. We've had richer and poorer. We've had sickness and health. We have loved, honored and cherished. And yes ladies and gentlemen, I have even occasionally obeyed.
*
We are lucky. We have that relationship where we can communicate without speaking. We trade looks, touches, jabs, pinches and the occasional kick under the table. We finish each other's sentences and always say what the other is thinking. We know one another's reactions well before they happen. And yet we still continue to surprise each other.
*
My heart still beats faster when I see him. I still love smelling his cologne lingering in the bathroom after he has left for work. I still love the sound of his voice when I answer the phone.
*
It hasn't been perfect. It hasn't been easy. But we have always faced it together. In his words, the trials we have faced are what keep us sharp and ready for whatever comes our way. No matter what we have been through, we always come out on top. Together and stronger. And laughing. Shaking our fists ruefully at the world. We were just meant to be.
*
And for all you suckas taking bets at our wedding - Ha ha! Who's laughing now, yo??

9 comments:

Becky said...

Awwww...

Today was also the anniversary of my parents first date. I caught them making out on a curb in the parking lot of the very restaurant they loitered at that fateful night.

Get a room, eh?

Congrats...you are a year up on us...man but we are several kids up on you...so it evens out! LOL

Happy Anniversary!

ginger said...

i think i threw up a little in my mouth.....
sorry. i am jealous of all people in love...until like february 2009ish.

(happy anniversary!)

WILLIAM said...

Congrats

Bogart in P Towne said...

Congratulations! Very cool. Here is to 44 more years...or 84 if we discover the Fountain of Youth...

Brenda said...

Congrats! What a sweet tribute to the love of your life. I am happy for you. Here's to the next 14!! Enjoy the day!

chandy said...

Happy Anniversary! Now go get a room, you crazy kids ;)

Chris H said...

so cute, I can echo those words 100% with me and Stew too... and yep, we had doubters at our wedding too... particularly his father! We have been married almost 21 years, have 8 kids and have never been happier.. well except for the fact that we are now living hundreds of miles apart due to his job... but we still love each other! Good on you and your man, may you have another 50 years of happiness together.

kristen s said...

Awwww shucks April Dawn! That was so sweet. Congrats to you and that cute little Brandon Keith. I wish you many more years of happiness together!

I hope you two lovebirds went out to a nice (totally non-weight watchers) dinner and then back to the homestead to take ol' "one eye" for an extra special trip to the optometrist (wink, wink;)

Happy Anniversary!

Becky said...

One Eye? Optometrist?

MWAHAHAHAHAH!

Too funny.

We will be using that one!