Sunday, May 4, 2008

Conversations with a Four Year Old


I had two boys before God finally blessed me with the baby girl I had prayed for. Not that I love her any more than my fabulous boys, it's just that I feel better knowing I have another girl in the house. Even though we are still out numbered, at least we have each other.

We spend a lot of time in the car together, where we have deep conversations about life, our world view and how purple nail polish makes our heart feel purpley. Which is a good thing. She sits at the kitchen counter while I cook dinner or do the dishes and we talk about how Twistable Crayola Crayons are way better than regular crayons because there is no paper to peel away, therefore creating less mess to clean up. She sits on my bed with me while I fold clothes and we talk about which Disney Princess is the smartest (Belle), the craftiest (Cinderella), and who would put on the best party (Snow White).

And even though she is only four, Boo already has her own thoughts, opinions and ideas about what's important and who she is and wants to be. Here are some examples:

Conversation One: Boo as American Idol Judge

Me: (singing) It's too late to 'pologize. It's toooo laaaaaate....."
Boo: Mommy, I don't really like it when you sing.
Me: You don't? Why?
Boo: Because you're not very good.

Conversation Two: Boo as Competitor

Boo: Mommy, let's play colors.
Me: Okay.
Boo: I'll be Purple and you be Pink, okay?
Me: Okay.
Boo: You go first.
Me: Okay, uuuuummmmm. Pink house.
Boo: Okay, my turn. I forgot to tell you, if you say flower, you win.
Me: Okay.
Boo: Purple flower. I win!!
(I have no idea what the point is of this game, but she loves it. And she always wins. Is it wrong that I want to win? Just once?? I want to win a game that has no point, no rules and no prize other than saying "I win.")

Conversation Three: Boo as Party Planner

Boo: Mommy, let's pretend like we are having a party.
Me: Oh that sounds like fun!
Boo: I'll call you and I'll say "Would you like to come to a party?"
Me: Okay, and I'll say "Why yes Boo, I would love to come to your party."
Boo: (giggling) Okay! Say . . . Fiveish?
Me: (trying not to laugh) Yes, fiveish sounds fabulous.
Boo: Um, is that what you are going to wear?
Me: I thought we were talking on the phone.

Conversation Four: Boo as Stylist

Boo: Mommy, today I want to wear my purple skirt and my white shirt and my white socks with the big ruffles and my black shoes.
Me: Okay.
Boo: No, not that shirt, the one with the ribbon here (pointing to her chest).
Me: Okay.
Boo: No, not those socks. I said big ruffles.
Me: What are these?
Boo: Little ruffles.
Me: Oh. My mistake.

Conversation Five: Boo as Ultimate Hostess

Boo: (pointing to a hot pink rubber ice cube tray that makes ice in the shape of hearts, butterflies and flowers) Mommy, I want this.
Me: It's for ice, sweetie.
Boo: Yes, I know.
Me: Why do you want that?
Boo: (in a tone that says Duh!) So I can have pretty ice.

Conversation Six: Boo as America's Next Top Model Judge

Boo: Whatchya doin?
Nana (my mom): Putting my makeup on.
Boo: Why?
Nana: So I look pretty.
Boo: Oh. (Sits and watches Nana put on her makeup) Are you done?
Nana: Yes. (Smiles at Boo.)
Boo: Oh.... It didn't work.

Conversation Seven: Boo as Negotiator

Boo: Bubba, can you please get me some chocolate milk?
Junior: Sure, Boo.
Boo: Thanks Bubba, you are my bestest brother.
Mac: What about me, Boo?
Boo: I don't know. What are you going to get me?

Conversation Eight: Boo as Fashion Editor

Boo: Mommy, who's that?
Me: Suri Cruise.
Boo: Who is she?
Me: A movie star's little girl. She's cute, huh?
Boo: I guess. But why is she wearing those shoes with that dress?

Conversation Nine: Boo as Shopping Enthusiast

Me: (waking Boo in her car seat) Boo, wake up, Sweetie. We're here.
Boo: (sleepily looks around) Where are we?
Me: The store.
Boo: (eyes widen) Oh! Do they have clothes here?

Conversation Ten: Boo as Name Brand Enthusiast

Boo: (playing with new dishes) Mommy, where did these come from?
Me: Granny gave them to you for Christmas.
Boo: No, where did they come from?
Me: Granny gave them to you.
Boo: No, (rolls eyes) like where in Phoenix?
Me: What? I don't know what you are asking.
Boo: (exasperated, exhales loudly and spreads arms wide) Did these dishes come from Pottery Barn? Because those (pointing to other dishes) came from Pottery Barn.
Me: (trying not to laugh) Um, no. They came from Costco.


Ah, yes. She is my little answer to prayer. And we all know that God has a sense of humor. Sometimes He gives us exactly what we prayed for. I think I'm in trouble.
P.S. I haven't decided yet if I want to post pictures of the kids, so in the mean time, you get Boo from Monsters Inc. Anyone who knows her will tell you I might as well have posted a picture of our Boo, this is exactly what she looks like.

6 comments:

Katie said...

That girl cracks me up. I wonder where she gets her witty sense of humor? Of course, she doesn't know she's being funny...she's just speaking her mind. It's all in the delivery!

bloggingbarbie said...

um, so she's absolutely precious. let me know if you ever need a nanny, because, uh...yeah. i'm available if the position is open. ;)

xoxo, b

p.s. thank you for your kind email...i. heart. you. and will write you back tomorrow am. promsie.

Becky said...

All I can think when I see that picture of Boo is "Kitty!"

:)

The only thing that would make this story better is if she told you to exit the runway while holding a Birkin bag.

Bogart in P Towne said...

You got your hands full...no doubt about it!

aschmoel said...

She is her mother's daughter that is for sure. And the fist thing I thought of when I opened your blog was WOW that looks like Mattie.

I have so much to look forward to. If my daughter is anything like me, I am in BIG trouble!

I NEED to move closer to you so they can be BFF and we can drink during their teenage years!

love ya!

Coffee Bean said...

Sigh... I am NOT getting anything I need to done... AND... I am getting sad because I can't know you in real life. I love your sense of humor!