Wednesday, April 16, 2008

I Bring Out the Crazy

I think I need to make up T-shirts and bumper stickers with this title, because seriously people, I have a gift.

I was making small talk with an acquaintance today. We were talking about traveling, places we had been, places we wanted to go and places we would go again and again. When I told her my favorite city was London, this is the actual conversation that followed:

She: Oh, I loved London!
Me: Me too!
She: All the castles and the great food.
Me: Yeah, it's the best.
She: Oh, I know! I can totally see why they call it The Magic Kingdom.
Me: Yeah, I . . . Wait. What?
She: The Magic Kingdom. London. I get why they call it that.
Me: (staring) Uuuuhhhh . . .
She: (nodding) Yeah. Mmmm hmmm.
Me: Um, you mean the United Kingdom?
She: (thinks for a second, then shakes her head) No, I am pretty sure they call it The Magic Kingdom.
Me: (left eye narrowing, right eyebrow elevating) Uuummm, nooooo. It's the United Kingdom. Are you talking about Epcot?
She: What country is that?
Me: Uuuuhhh . . . Oh wow. (Shakes head, stifles eye roll) Um, the Magic Kingdom is in Orlando. Florida. You know, Disneyworld? And London, is um, in England.
She: (blank stare)
Me: And, uh, England is, um, part of the United Kingdom. (Uncomfortably clears throat.)
She: (thinking) Hmmmm. Are you sure?
Me: Yep, pretty sure.
She: (laughing) Oh who cares? (Waves hand in the air) Whatever. Magic Kingdom, United Kingdom. Same thing.

Yeah, same thing. Both have castles, both have royalty, both have a guy with big ears. Yeah, totally the same thing. No wonder why they think Americans are so stupid.

5 comments:

Becky said...

I was born in one of those kingdoms...I will let you guess which one! LOL

We Americans are not stupid...I have proof. We can drive through and order food and the person on the other side of the window can make change! (If the cash register tells him how much.)

Yep, We is very smart.

Seriously though...don't try to give them change after they have hit total...they can't figure it out! LOL

Katie said...

That was laugh-out-loud funny. That could be a blond joke.

Brenda said...

That whole conversation feels like one off of the office. It made me uncomfortable to read it!!! oh my! That is a gem! Thanks for the good giggle!

DutchMac said...

It's stories like this that make me, after over 8 years residing outside the grand old U.S. of A., occasionally tell people I'm Canadian.

By the way, if you ever want to chat and reminisce about London, you've got a sympathetic ear/eye here. I love Holland, but sometimes I really miss living in The Big Smog!

Bogart in P Towne said...

I can't lift my right eyebrow, but my left is like some sort of raising up maniac. Sometimes I look like The Rock.