Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Mac

Eight years ago today, at this very minute, I was in labor. Panting, sweating, grinding my teeth through the excruciating pain of squeezing a ginormous baby out of my itty bitty nether regions. Okay, who am I kidding? I had that epidural on pre-order. I was resting comfortably and professing my undying love and devotion to my anaesthesiologist. Who I think was female, but whatever. And I guess I am exaggerating on the ginormous part too. But weighing in at seven pounds six ounces, he was my biggest baby. My sweet little Doodlebug.

This is the baby who would not sleep unless he was in his swing. The baby who cried and screamed if I left the room and he couldn't see me. The baby who refused to walk until he was fourteen months old and then took his first steps when no one was looking. The kid who stuck a popcorn kernel in his ear (twice), resulting in an emergency visit to an ENT downtown during rush hour traffic while I was 9 months pregnant with his sister. The same kid who two months later stuck a sunflower seed up his nose, resulting in an emergency room visit at 9:30 at night during flu season, where his unhappy father waited 6 hours for x-rays and a cat scan only to be told the seed could not be found and must have passed to his throat and been swallowed.

Needless to say, that $300 copay is being taken out of his college fund. Oh, wait. This is the kid who says he is not going to college. This is the kid who is going to live on the beach in Mexico and eat fish tacos every day. The kid who saves every penny so he can "invest it and earn compound interest," so he will be a millionaire by the time he's eighteen. And then we can't make him go to college, right? The kid who doesn't want to get married because girls only spend your money. The kid who says the very thought of kissing a girl makes him throw up in his mouth. The kid with the infectious giggle, the fiery spirit, and the sweet, kind heart. The kid who still let me shower him with birthday kisses this morning and danced with me while I sang "You say it's your birthday, it's my birthday too!" The kid who wants to go to Hooters for his special dinner.

I'm a little nervous about what the next eight years will bring with this kid. But I know it will be an adventure. Happy Birthday Doodlebug.

No comments: