Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Birthday Party Conundrum

My precious middle child Mac is about to turn 8 in a few weeks. For the past month we have been discussing possible birthday party scenarios. The kid has had some big ideas and I have to keep reminding him he has a not so big budget. Can I just go off on a tangent here for a minute? You would not believe some of the birthday parties my kids have been to recently! Junior went to a pirate themed party last summer. The invitation was stuffed in a bottle with dirt and sea shells. Each kid got a "booty" bag which was an actual backpack thing with their freaking name EMBROIDERED on it. Have you seen that show on MTV, My Super Sweet Sixteen? And you are thinking while you are watching it, who the heck would throw a party like that for their kid? Well, now I know who! And their kids go to school with my kids. Thanks for raising the bar people!

Anyhoo, we have been shooting down each other's suggestions for quite some time. And it goes something like this:

Me: What about Peter Piper?
Mac: Too boring.
Me: How about bowling?
Mac: We did that last year.
Me: Hey, what about the batting cages? Yeah! Let's do that!
Mac: Not everyone likes baseball, Mom. Hey! I know! Let's have it here!
Me: Are you going to clean up after ten 8 year olds and come up with games to entertain them?
Mac: No.
Me: Then no.
Mac: What about Laser Tag?
Me: Some parents may think it's too violent.
Mac: They're not real lasers.
Me: Yeah, I know, but . . . um . . . Can we come up with more ideas later?
Mac: Sure.

So last night Mac informs me that he thought of the perfect place to have his party. It's big enough for a few friends, there is entertainment, and I won't have to clean up. So I ask him where is this magical place? He smiles that big I am so proud of myself smile, stands up straight, looks me dead in the eye and exclaims, "Hooters!"

I am seriously considering Laser Tag.

3 comments:

RooseFam said...

Did you just BEAM with pride? I'm sure your husband did.

Thank goodness my kids b-days are in the summer. Pool parties every year until their married.

A friend's 4 year old just went to that Girlie Girlz place for a party and found out that it was almost $500!!! For FIVE four year old girls. My kids are going to be sad, sad, sad when they realize how cheap we are. The "cool mom" title just flew out the window.

Jessie said...

NO WAY that came out of his mouth!!!!! Hilarious!

So, as far as birthday parties go, I have a friend who is queen of the cheap and fun birthday parties. Of course, they are perfect for little kids, but not so much for 8 year olds. I'm going to be one of the, "can't we just have it here?" moms and will clean up for them. That way I don't have to spend money!

Becky said...

Last year for my daughters 7th birthday I made her a scrumptious birthday cake (ice cream cake at that) and had over just family...but set a fun birthday table...bought 20 bucks worth of princess balloons and tried to make the simple special.

As my parents were leaving and we were saying our goodbyes, my daughter exclaims in the front yard...this was the WORST birthday ever. And then my 3 and a half year old daughter grabbed her 20 bucks worth of balloons and set them free in the back yard.

Birthdays in big families suck.
LOL